New Member from MN

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
New member. So glad I found this site. Bought a home with an in-ground pool and I can't even tell you the accurate dimensions, capacity or any of the mechanics so far. Will update the signature when I do more recon this winter. I did swim in the pool last summer before we owned the home so it should be in working order but we'll see how it opens this spring. Guaranteed to be an adventure.

Welcome to TFP !!

Take the time to do some reading in pool school. It will give you the knowledge to maintain your pool like a pro !!

Don't forget to grab yourself one of our recommended test kits. It a very small investment and the right tool for accurate water testing.

TF100 Test kit on the way!

I wanted to get it here now, despite us being in the deepest of freezes as is typical here in February because when opening the pool in the spring I need to decide between filling with city provided water or well water. I'm lucky enough to have a well on my property for watering the grass, etc while still having city water for the bulk of internal house plumbing. What better way to decide what water is best than to test each them now before spring? Is the TF100 kit sufficient for testing the supply water? Any general thoughts on filling with city versus well water?

Welcome to tfp, JVTrain :wave:

Us Minnesotans continue to take over tfp! :viking: Where a bouts are you from? North metro here (lino lakes). My well water does have metals (iron+), but I am one of the lucky few that has had luck with precipitating it and catching the precipitation in my filter. The problem with that method is there can as easily be staining of pool surfaces as iron precipitation. However, since it sounds like you have city water available, I would use that.

It's been a cold one, even by our standards so I'm hoping for an early spring, warm summer for our first one with a pool.

I'm in the St. Cloud area. Typically we don't have a lot of iron but won't know til I get it tested.

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome JV,

You'll love the TF100 Test kit. It looks like a lot when you first open it up but it does't take long to organize it all in your head and do the actual testing. I bought this same kit and I also bought the Speed Stir. Boy, this thing makes your testing a snap and hassle free.
http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magnetic-Stirrer-p56.html

For me, I found a better way to organize all those bottles, tubes etc. (see attached pics)
I found these boxes at Office Max. There are several sizes & colors and very cheap. I bought 2 of the boxes. There are called "Really Useful Box." The first box was for all my TF100 testing equip. including the Speed Stir. This box is called the "3 litre box Trans Blue". Then I also bought the 0.2 litre box to match. I made and printed a small testing sheet and store about 50 of these in this little box and it's stored with all my other testing gear in the big box. So when I go to test my water, I go get a sample of pool water (using my local pool store water bottle they gave me) and then go to the kitchen table and perform all my tests and record them as I go on the small testing sheet. Then I go to my office and record all those readings on my master spread sheet that I created…so at a I glance I can see what my pool has been doing over a period of time and record what steps if necessary I took.

About your well vs city water…
I had a problem with high CH in my city water here in Houston, tx. My test results were way above the normal levels for a salt water pool (or any pool for that matter). I won't go into what all I had to do to fix that (there is a thread on that) but since high CH levels can really pose some problems, if I were you I would do a complete test on your well water and city water separately with your new kit and see what source gives you the lowest results BEFORE you put it in the pool. More than likely your well water will have higher CH but check them both first.

I would also create a log sheet to keep track of all your test results throughout the year.

Attachments

• kit-combined.jpg
    kit-combined.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 481
Thanks for the detailed response. Looks like a great way to organize and I do plan on keeping an Excel/LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet with results from routine testing as well as the source water tests. Can't wait for the kit to get here to start testing the source water. I have a Chemistry degree but haven't been doing direct chemistry for years (funny how careers work) and almost can't wait to do some light home chemistry. Ordered the speed stir as well. Done enough lab titrations back in the day to know that it really helps move things along.

I haven't even stepped foot in a pool store but may have to stop in just to get some sampling supplies and weather my first hard sales pitch:rant:

:lovetfp:

Ordered the speed stir as well. Done enough lab titrations back in the day to know that it really helps move things along.

I haven't even stepped foot in a pool store but may have to stop in just to get some sampling supplies and weather my first hard sales pitch:rant:
:lovetfp:

It'll come back just like riding a bike. :lol: You will be so glad you got the speed stir, I promise you. Especially having run labs in the past. :goodjob:

And no worries, no hard sales pitch here. We just like helping people learn and do this on their own.

Received my TF100 kit and speed stir tonight.

City water:
FC: ND
CC: 0.5 ppm
CH: ND
TA: 280
pH: 7.2

TA seems rather high and pH substantially lower than I've seen in more urban cities than here that run closer to 8 than 7.

I followed the directions on the TA test to the letter, wiping the tip between all drops. May test again in a week or so to see if I get similar results.

I intended on testing our well water as well but... it's was a well that was not in use up until we purchased the home and insisted it be put back into proper service, if possible, or closed. Has to be done prior to a property sale here in MN. We haven't run it at all since moving in since it's freezing cold here and whole house is on city water. Long story short, water comes out right now looking like it's been mixed with red Georgia clay. Heavy red/rust color with some dark sediment settling to bottom of bottle I filled. Iron supplement anyone? Once things thaw out here in the spring I'll be running the well for several hours... or days to see if it clears up. Until then, only have city water data.

Comments welcome!

Yeah, that is a high TA and if it is still that high when you fill in the spring, you may need to actively lower the TA in the pool...but wait until you test and see where it is.

Before considering using your well water you may want to get it tested for metals in the spring.

Things are thawing out here FINALLY! Some snow on the south pool deck yet but what remained on the safety cover finally all melted yesterday. Time to get after the pool soon!

Haven't peaked under the cover yet... There is a decent amount of water on the safety cover in one end of the pool. Should I try to siphon it all off or just attempt to "roll" it all off one end of the pool when I remove the cover? I'd say there's maybe 50 gallons at the most on the cover.

Signature is updated with more specifics. Now I just have to figure out how to use the equipment I have such as the vacuum and pump operation. Also thinking about opening the separate spa soon!

Thank goodness for spring finally arriving. Forecast of 70 high on Wednesday. That's shorts and tank top weather around here!

Officially hit 70 here today. Peeked under the cover. Looks pretty clear. Still a thin layer over ice on top, level is just a few inches below returns from what I can tell.

Checked the skimmers today. Both had partially full, inverted antifreeze bottles in them. Both had standing water in the bottom of the skimmer (sans baskets). One skimmer had a pink mass of ice and the ledge that supports the round skimmer basket was broken. Popped up as a ring. Likely stayed frozen longer as it is south side of pool, shaded by fence. I'll put a picture up later. I'm likely going to try to glue/superglue/caulk that ring back in place. The other just had standing water which I'm sure was ice before the weather warmed up. Both skimmers have two plugs in the bottom. One being a "pause symbol" plug, the other a compression plug.

Return eyes were removed and placed in pool supplies bin by previous owner so I'm hoping the returns are plugged.

Tested my city water again. May dip into the pool to check it out.

City:
TA: 330
pH: 7.2
CH: 375

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.