Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member from MN

1. Back To Top    #1

New Member from MN

New member. So glad I found this site. Bought a home with an in-ground pool and I can't even tell you the accurate dimensions, capacity or any of the mechanics so far. Will update the signature when I do more recon this winter. I did swim in the pool last summer before we owned the home so it should be in working order but we'll see how it opens this spring. Guaranteed to be an adventure.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Member from MN

Welcome to TFP!!!

I split your topic out of the sticky.

Spend your winter in Pool School and ask questions as they come up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

New Member from MN

Welcome to TFP !!

Take the time to do some reading in pool school. It will give you the knowledge to maintain your pool like a pro !!

Don't forget to grab yourself one of our recommended test kits. It a very small investment and the right tool for accurate water testing.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TF100 Test kit on the way!

I wanted to get it here now, despite us being in the deepest of freezes as is typical here in February because when opening the pool in the spring I need to decide between filling with city provided water or well water. I'm lucky enough to have a well on my property for watering the grass, etc while still having city water for the bulk of internal house plumbing. What better way to decide what water is best than to test each them now before spring? Is the TF100 kit sufficient for testing the supply water? Any general thoughts on filling with city versus well water?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP. The test kit is good to test your respective water supplys with. The only thing you might want to test for which i think you need a seperate test for is metals in your well water.
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP.

I don't even like thinking about how cold it is up there. Man!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to tfp, JVTrain

Us Minnesotans continue to take over tfp! Where a bouts are you from? North metro here (lino lakes). My well water does have metals (iron+), but I am one of the lucky few that has had luck with precipitating it and catching the precipitation in my filter. The problem with that method is there can as easily be staining of pool surfaces as iron precipitation. However, since it sounds like you have city water available, I would use that.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

It's been a cold one, even by our standards so I'm hoping for an early spring, warm summer for our first one with a pool.

I'm in the St. Cloud area. Typically we don't have a lot of iron but won't know til I get it tested.

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome!

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome JV,

You'll love the TF100 Test kit. It looks like a lot when you first open it up but it does't take long to organize it all in your head and do the actual testing. I bought this same kit and I also bought the Speed Stir. Boy, this thing makes your testing a snap and hassle free.
    http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magn...irrer-p56.html

For me, I found a better way to organize all those bottles, tubes etc. (see attached pics)
    I found these boxes at Office Max. There are several sizes & colors and very cheap. I bought 2 of the boxes. There are called "Really Useful Box." The first box was for all my TF100 testing equip. including the Speed Stir. This box is called the "3 litre box Trans Blue". Then I also bought the 0.2 litre box to match. I made and printed a small testing sheet and store about 50 of these in this little box and it's stored with all my other testing gear in the big box. So when I go to test my water, I go get a sample of pool water (using my local pool store water bottle they gave me) and then go to the kitchen table and perform all my tests and record them as I go on the small testing sheet. Then I go to my office and record all those readings on my master spread sheet that I created…so at a I glance I can see what my pool has been doing over a period of time and record what steps if necessary I took.

About your well vs city water…
    I had a problem with high CH in my city water here in Houston, tx. My test results were way above the normal levels for a salt water pool (or any pool for that matter). I won't go into what all I had to do to fix that (there is a thread on that) but since high CH levels can really pose some problems, if I were you I would do a complete test on your well water and city water separately with your new kit and see what source gives you the lowest results BEFORE you put it in the pool. More than likely your well water will have higher CH but check them both first.

I would also create a log sheet to keep track of all your test results throughout the year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10k gal., Hydrozzo finish, in ground chlorine pool, No Spa, No Heater, Built in Oct 2012 TF-100 test kit Jandy Cartridge Filter CV340 Jandy VSFloPro Variable Speed Pump Model VS-FHP2.0 Hayward TigerShark QC Robotic Pool Cleaner RC9990GR Intermatic 100 watt Safety Transformer Model# PX 100 Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF 1202T.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the detailed response. Looks like a great way to organize and I do plan on keeping an Excel/LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet with results from routine testing as well as the source water tests. Can't wait for the kit to get here to start testing the source water. I have a Chemistry degree but haven't been doing direct chemistry for years (funny how careers work) and almost can't wait to do some light home chemistry. Ordered the speed stir as well. Done enough lab titrations back in the day to know that it really helps move things along.

I haven't even stepped foot in a pool store but may have to stop in just to get some sampling supplies and weather my first hard sales pitch

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    Ordered the speed stir as well. Done enough lab titrations back in the day to know that it really helps move things along.

I haven't even stepped foot in a pool store but may have to stop in just to get some sampling supplies and weather my first hard sales pitch
    It'll come back just like riding a bike. You will be so glad you got the speed stir, I promise you. Especially having run labs in the past.

And no worries, no hard sales pitch here. We just like helping people learn and do this on their own.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

Received my TF100 kit and speed stir tonight.

City water:
    FC: ND
    CC: 0.5 ppm
    CH: ND
    TA: 280
    pH: 7.2

TA seems rather high and pH substantially lower than I've seen in more urban cities than here that run closer to 8 than 7.

I followed the directions on the TA test to the letter, wiping the tip between all drops. May test again in a week or so to see if I get similar results.

I intended on testing our well water as well but... it's was a well that was not in use up until we purchased the home and insisted it be put back into proper service, if possible, or closed. Has to be done prior to a property sale here in MN. We haven't run it at all since moving in since it's freezing cold here and whole house is on city water. Long story short, water comes out right now looking like it's been mixed with red Georgia clay. Heavy red/rust color with some dark sediment settling to bottom of bottle I filled. Iron supplement anyone? Once things thaw out here in the spring I'll be running the well for several hours... or days to see if it clears up. Until then, only have city water data.

Comments welcome!

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah, that is a high TA and if it is still that high when you fill in the spring, you may need to actively lower the TA in the pool...but wait until you test and see where it is.

Before considering using your well water you may want to get it tested for metals in the spring.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Things are thawing out here FINALLY! Some snow on the south pool deck yet but what remained on the safety cover finally all melted yesterday. Time to get after the pool soon!

Haven't peaked under the cover yet... There is a decent amount of water on the safety cover in one end of the pool. Should I try to siphon it all off or just attempt to "roll" it all off one end of the pool when I remove the cover? I'd say there's maybe 50 gallons at the most on the cover.

Signature is updated with more specifics. Now I just have to figure out how to use the equipment I have such as the vacuum and pump operation. Also thinking about opening the separate spa soon!

Thank goodness for spring finally arriving. Forecast of 70 high on Wednesday. That's shorts and tank top weather around here!

17. Back To Top    #17

Officially hit 70 here today. Peeked under the cover. Looks pretty clear. Still a thin layer over ice on top, level is just a few inches below returns from what I can tell.

Checked the skimmers today. Both had partially full, inverted antifreeze bottles in them. Both had standing water in the bottom of the skimmer (sans baskets). One skimmer had a pink mass of ice and the ledge that supports the round skimmer basket was broken. Popped up as a ring. Likely stayed frozen longer as it is south side of pool, shaded by fence. I'll put a picture up later. I'm likely going to try to glue/superglue/caulk that ring back in place. The other just had standing water which I'm sure was ice before the weather warmed up. Both skimmers have two plugs in the bottom. One being a "pause symbol" plug, the other a compression plug.

Return eyes were removed and placed in pool supplies bin by previous owner so I'm hoping the returns are plugged.

Tested my city water again. May dip into the pool to check it out.

City:
    TA: 330
    pH: 7.2
    CH: 375
    Last edited by JVTrain; 04-09-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added test results.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

May dip into the pool to check it out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Haha. Just read my post again. Meant dip some water or to test. Guess I could have my own personal polar bear plunge!

I am in the process of getting the spa running. I'll have to settle for a dip in there... Tomorrow... Maybe. Takes a while to warm up 45 degree water. :frown:

20. Back To Top    #20

So here's what I found in the one skimmer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yptca04qx7...409_172002.jpg

I guess if that's the worst of the winter damage, I'll be fine. Some caulk should hold that back in place just fine.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast