Cold Water Effect SWG? And Salt Test Kit Recommendation...

May 17, 2012
My SWG has a "cold water" notifier, which I assume means it will not generate FC at a certain temp (below 60 degrees F I believe). Is that standard or just a limitation of my SWG (Pentair Intellichlor fyi).

Does cold water effect test results by any chance? I'm using Taylor's Sodium Chloride Test, but I know a lot of people use the test strips...any guidance on which is preferred and whether water temp would effect a test?

PS: I was surprised to discover my salt level is low, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

That is normal for most (if not all) swg's. The electrolysis process is affected at lower temps and typical home swg's have no way to compensate so they just shut down.

I don't know how much the sodium chloride test is affected by temp but the swg's salt indication is significantly affected.

Thanks again, Bama.

FYI, to anyone following this thread, I just called Taylor and they confirmed the Sodium Choloride test is not effected by water temp as long as the range is between 40-90 degrees F. Just wanted to pass that along...

I use the Taylor drop based test ... easier to note trends than with the strips. Although mine for awhile seemed to always read ~400ppm higher than the SWG and test strips. But, recently the test was matching the SWG ... weird.

Thanks for the note about temp affects. I think the only test we routinely use that is affected by the water temperature is the CYA test.

Thanks, Jason. The CYA test is only affected by very cold water though correct? I found this on Taylor's website:

"Do pool or spa water samples have to be at "room temperature" before testing begins?
With one exception, no. Our lab has run the pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, free chlorine, and cyanuric acid tests on known standard solutions at approximately 104°F, 75°F, 60°F, and 40°F. Only at 40°F did the CYA standard solution test higher than its actual value (after accounting for test variability). All other tests were unaffected by temperature differences."

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.