Need help with Green water

The path forward depends on the cause of the green. If it is organics, then you need to follow the SLAM Process. If it is metal, then you need more sequestrant (this is a consumable) and adding a bunch of chlorine is going to make the problem worse.

Why don't you post up some pictures.

Your issue is iron in the water. Here's what happened.....

You had iron in your pool water (do you fill from a well?) in a soluable, invisible state. The large dose of chlorine you put in your pool allowed the iron to precipitate out into a visible yellowish substance that does not sink but stays suspended in your pool. The yellowish brown iron combined with your blue pool water results in a clear, greenish-brown pool. This all started..
put 4 lbs of granulated chlorine directly into the pool. Result? Now obviously a 5-10 chlorine reading, but water is now GREENER than before.
when you became impatient and overdosed on chlorine.

Here's what I would suggest to fix it.

1. Run your pump 24/7.....you must filter out the visible iron into your filter.........clean your filter per our suggested guidelines so it can continue to collect more.

2. Add no more chlorine to your water for now. Simply keep the pump running vacuuming and cleaning as often as you can to keep the visible iron suspended and working it's way into your filter.
You should see some slow, steady improvement over the next few days and it will eventually return to blue.

Long term, your solution to the problem is to rid yourself of the iron-laden water you are filling the pool with. You will never have to pay for sequestrant again.

Reactions: bobodaclown
Hello,
You're in a battle, follow the advice here and you'll win the war and end up with a sparkling pool.
With that being said, you really must listen to the advice given here. If you end up partially follow our advice and merging advice from other places it won't work out so well.

Have you had the metals measured?

Pool stores need to sell chemicals to make money. Which is ok, but they tend to up sell products you really don't need.

Not sure if you've read these:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/126-defeating-algae

Have you added CYA?

Sun breaks down chlorine very quickly without/low CYA in the water.

GreenPool.jpg

As you can see I have some brown stains, these dissapear with ascorbic acid treatment, return with heavy chlorination. There is no "slickness" to the sides of the pool, and no floating algae. Filter is clean. Just clear, green water. I've put in 64 oz. of Metal Magic and 32 oz. of Metal Free (Leslie's product) over the past week.

I'm running the pump 24/7. Pressure has only risen from 9 to 10 since cleaning exactly 24 hours ago. No grit at all when I cleaned, only brown staining that came right off with hosing. I did not fill from a well, and have checked with neighbors who have pools and they are not having this problem. I did collect plenty of leaves though. I have not added any CYA, and haven't had metals measured. Only the standard Leslie's measurements which were already in line with what I had determined on my own.

My advice stands. Stop adding chlorine for now.

At some point, it will be very helpful if you can post a complete set of current test results.

If you have read this forum much, you know what we think of pool store testing. What kit are you using at home to test your water?

Testing for metals will be nice confirmation but they are there regardless of the test. Your symptoms are classic.

Assuming your other reagents are fresh, the K-2005 is a good kit but you would do well to upgrade your FC and CC test to the FAS/DPD test. It will measure the FC at high levels and will measure very precisely as well. It will then give you the equivalent of a Taylor K-2006 which is one of the kits we suggest.

Pool store testing did not find Copper or Iron, and what they suggest based on my picture and lack of ability of 4 lbs. of chlorine to clear the water, is that I may have yellow mustard algae. I didn't buy any, but they suggested adding 1 bottle of ProTeam Black Magic along with 4 lbs of Dichlor shock. Run pump overnight, clean filter tomorrow after thorough brushing, then run overnight again. Then vaccum and clean filter again. Once pool is clear finish with 2 more lbs of shock.

Based on what I have read here, I am skeptical of this advice. But, if I do indeed have metals, what do I do next? I've already added 64 oz. of Metal Magic. I should add the store did not suggest I buy any Metal Free.The only thing they pushed was a $16 bottle of Black Magic.

Current test results (from my Taylor kit):
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 260
CYA 20
FC 20
TC 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are trying to play both ends against the middle. Pool store advice and our advice never mix and you end up caught in the middle.

We don't have a dog in the fight so the choice is yours but you must choose.

I will add that mustard algae in your pool approaches absurdity based on the info you have provided.
But, if I do indeed have metals, what do I do next?
Here's what I would suggest to fix it.

1. Run your pump 24/7.....you must filter out the visible iron into your filter.........clean your filter per our suggested guidelines so it can continue to collect more.

2. Add no more chlorine to your water for now. Simply keep the pump running vacuuming and cleaning as often as you can to keep the visible iron suspended and working it's way into your filter.
You should see some slow, steady improvement over the next few days and it will eventually return to blue.

Long term, your solution to the problem is to rid yourself of the iron-laden water you are filling the pool with. You will never have to pay for sequestrant again
I don't know what else to say.

Its cloudier than before I put a load of chlorine in, but I can still easily see the bottom. Lots of glare in this pic though. I just did some serious brushing, and notice a yellowish dust come up in some areas. I don't know if this is the granulated chlorine residue, iron particles, or whatever.

My experience with metals in the water, is that if there is any cloudiness, it dissipates in a few hours and just leaves tinted but transparent water. Since your FC is already high, you could do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test:http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt to confirm you do not have algae. One caveat, with water temps where yours are, I am not sure how that might effect the overnight loss...I wouldn't be surprised that you could have algae and still pass the test.

I'll be getting that test kit soon, as I can see its advantages. Tonight I'm noticing some small particles in the water, easier to see in the pool light. I wouldn't say its very cloudy but its certainly not the clarity I have when the water is clear blue. Drain is clearly visible, but I just don't know what those particles are. Are iron particles visible?

photo.JPG

Here is a current pic of the green water (1:00 CST). Cleaned filter at 9:00 this morning after pressure went from 10 to 12 overnight, then brushed pool thoroughly. Not much residue seen while brushing.
Current test results:
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 260
CYA 20
FC 20
TC 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.