Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deploying for a year- possible to keep pool closed through summer? Other ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deploying for a year- possible to keep pool closed through summer? Other ideas?

I have a potential overseas deployment on the horizon that would go from July-July. I take care of the pool myself. I'm wondering what my options are so it can be worry free while I'm gone. We have a SWG, so maint is mostly scooping leaves, emptying scupper, and backflushing filter.

I think my options are:

1) Close pool mid-summer when I leave and use our saftey cover over pool. CONs are the water will be a mess after a year, but it'll eventually clear up right? Wife would need to keep an eye on the water level and sump pump occasionally (cover has mesh drains). Pluses are not worrying about our toddlers falling in while I'm gone, the equipment can't get messed up, no operating costs.

2) Train wife to run pool- I think there's a good chance she could mess it up, either by forgetting to empty stainer and starving pump, or letting chemicals go wacky. But maybe not. Would still need to hire pros to close and open pool

3) Hire a professional to maintain pool while I'm gone.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deploying for a year- possible to keep pool closed through summer? Other ideas?

All of those are possible options. Personally I would lean toward #2, but if you are more comfortable with #1 then we will certainly be here next year when you are ready to clean it up.

Is your wife going to want to use the pool at all while you are gone?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Deploying for a year- possible to keep pool closed through summer? Other ideas?

Just wanted to say Thank You for your service zimm !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Deploying for a year- possible to keep pool closed through summer? Other ideas?

With toddlers, I think I'd close it. One less thing for her to worry about. Tell her about TFP so we can help her if something bizarre happens while you are gone.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, that's probably what I'll do- close it if I have to go for sure. If all I have to do is clean up a swamp when I get back, that's OK. I just don't want to damage anything. That cover keeps most of the junk out of the pool.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Just wanted to say Thank You for your service zimm !!

Thank you Zimm, it is appreciated.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

i would put safety cover on, leave SWG running and have pool guy come out once per month
    i don't think too much could go wrong in a month with a cover on
    and will be a lot easier when you get home
    stay safe wherever you end up
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you