Major freeze damage

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
Ok, I am going to need to rep lump my pool, buy a new motor and maybe even a new SWG. Last season everything, liner, plumbing, new returns were all replaced, at the end of the season the pump started " squealing". So, my son was coming to look at as he repairs a lot. He didn't show and long story short, the pool was not drained below the skimmer nor were the new pvc lines drained. So...now all the pvc around the pool to the return is broken and laying on the ground from a freeze. The Jandy SWG was still on the lines and is probably frozen also. I have been out of town and it went to 0 degrees here in N GA. yes I know it is my own fault for not just paying someone to come over but its too late now. The question is, I found a Hayward 1 1/2 hp pump on Amazon. Do I have to replace the pump with the same one I have? Since I have to replace all PVC I figure the configuration wouldn't matter. Also, does salt water affect the type of pump I use? I noticed a lot of whitish looking corrosion on the pump body at the end of the summer. How do I know if the SWG is still functional after everything freezing? Basically, where do I begin to put this all back in running order? Do I wait until the freezes are over? The pool is obviously now drained below the skimmer and the returns as the broken pipes took care of that for me... Thanks in advance for your recommendations, please don't berate me for not closing the pool properly this year, I have already done plenty of that myself...:(:(

Certainly wait until the danger of freezing has passed.

While waiting, I would suggest you hire a pro to fix your pool. It sounds like the damage is well beyond your DIY level so getting the advice (and bids) from a couple of pros makes good sense.

Since you are having a re-do, might be a good time to considered upgrading. Mainly getting yourself a 2-speed pump instead of a large single speed.
Do you have any high flow rate needs? (spa/water fall/etc)?
Was you pump wired for 115V or 230V?
If no high flow needs and you have 230V, then look for a 1HP 2-speed like the Pentair Superflo 2-speed. The smaller 2-speed may be comparable in price to the larger single speed, but you can save a good bit of electricity by running on low most of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.