Pergola Height

Feb 26, 2012
We are about to have a pergola built as a kind of extension from our small covered patio.

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of their pergolas where they have the bottom of the beam at 7 ft. Our beam will be a 4"x"12, so that means the 2"x8" that sit on them will be at a max height of 8 ft. We're a bit limited in height because this is not a free standing pergola but one that will be attached to the house. I know typically free standing ones are a bit higher so just wanted to make sure we wouldn't feel like it was closing down on us.

Thanks

No pictures at the moment, but we have one at church that is about that height. We are about to start building one and are arguing about the height a little bit.

Lower will provide more shade, especially if it's kinda small, so I will be building mine no higher than 7'. Maybe a hair less....

I'm planning on having a Pavilion built that looks similar to the picture below. I'm guessing with the curve of the gussets, I would need at least 7 1/2 ft to 8ft to not hit your head.

adhpub.jpg

This is the style of pergola we are going with, that main beam upfront, the bottom would be 7ft, then it would rise 1 ft then the 2 x 8's would be sitting at 8 ft.

Have you priced these yet? Seems every Gazebo / Pavilion / Ramada / Pergola is built in OH or PA. Here in CA, we seem to only build things out of aluminum. Just by the general prices I've seen searching some of the Amish Gazebo type sites, I'm looking at $6000 - $9000 to get something like this built in the small 10' x 14' that I want. As an alternative to pre-built kits, I'm having a carpenter come by to give me a quote on building one onsite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.