Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pergola Height

1. Back To Top    #1

Pergola Height

We are about to have a pergola built as a kind of extension from our small covered patio.

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of their pergolas where they have the bottom of the beam at 7 ft. Our beam will be a 4"x"12, so that means the 2"x8" that sit on them will be at a max height of 8 ft. We're a bit limited in height because this is not a free standing pergola but one that will be attached to the house. I know typically free standing ones are a bit higher so just wanted to make sure we wouldn't feel like it was closing down on us.

Thanks
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pergola Height

No pictures at the moment, but we have one at church that is about that height. We are about to start building one and are arguing about the height a little bit.

Lower will provide more shade, especially if it's kinda small, so I will be building mine no higher than 7'. Maybe a hair less....
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Would be great to see some pictures! Just for clarification when discussing height i'm not talking about overall height but instead, underneath headroom height.
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know what type of space you have but this is what I am going to install. You can open or close the slats by remote:

http://www.equinoxtexas.com/

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, I understand, headroom! My wife wants 8' but that is just going to let all the sun in the side.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm planning on having a Pavilion built that looks similar to the picture below. I'm guessing with the curve of the gussets, I would need at least 7 1/2 ft to 8ft to not hit your head.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

This is the style of pergola we are going with, that main beam upfront, the bottom would be 7ft, then it would rise 1 ft then the 2 x 8's would be sitting at 8 ft.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixtx View Post
    This is the style of pergola we are going with, that main beam upfront, the bottom would be 7ft, then it would rise 1 ft then the 2 x 8's would be sitting at 8 ft.
    Have you priced these yet? Seems every Gazebo / Pavilion / Ramada / Pergola is built in OH or PA. Here in CA, we seem to only build things out of aluminum. Just by the general prices I've seen searching some of the Amish Gazebo type sites, I'm looking at $6000 - $9000 to get something like this built in the small 10' x 14' that I want. As an alternative to pre-built kits, I'm having a carpenter come by to give me a quote on building one onsite.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Finally I'm able to upload the example pergoals I am having done to Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78425727@N05/12309482936/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78425727@N05/12309330744/

The main 4" x 12" beam you see at the front, the bottom of that beam will be at 7 ft, so the rafters above it will be at 8 ft.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note how do you post images with out having to use links?

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are a couple pictures. Bottom of beam is 7' 4" from the concrete. Please excuse the winter-ness of the yard. It's cold out!

- - - Updated - - -

Found a summer one, hope it helps.

J.

In New Mexico 20'x36'/3.5' to 8.5'/32,000 gallon/IG gunite/plaster
    Pentair WFE-4 pump/Pentair CC420 cartridge filter/Raypak 266A heater
    2 Pentair Intellibrite LED's/6 Aqua arches
    Coverpools cover with hidden lid
    1,500 sq ft stamped concrete deck
    Polaris robot
    TF100

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks good savage, I can live with that!