SN code on Balboa control

ChrisL

Apr 3, 2007
I have Balboa control and heating on my 6 year old hot tub. It is the system with two sensor going into the heating unit and no other sensors. I recently got the "Sn" code and the spa will not turn on. My owners manual confirms that the spa will be disabled if the Sn code displays. Since it was so cold, and my spa was in sleep mode, I opened the panel and made sure there was water ( not ice) in the heating element. (I cracked open the connections to make sure water was coming out and used a blow dryer on the heating element. then allowed it to sit with the panel off in yesterday's 45 degree temperature for a few hours). It still does not start and the SN code comes on. I see from Spa Depot that the sensors are both the same and if I replace one I should replace both. I have no experience with troubleshooting or fixing spas. However, if it most likely bad sensors, I would rather just replace them than spend a ton of money calling a service person. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

Chris

A quick google search shows code SN is out of sync on the thermistors, meaning they show more than 2 degrees difference from each other. If it were me I would try unplugging them then plugging them back in case the issue is slight corrosion on the connection. Also I could see how the hair drier might get them more out of sync, at least temporarily. If the tub will let you circulate water without heating I would try that for a bit also to even out heat distribution.

Ike

Thanks, I did leave it a couple of hours before I turned on the power again. Unfortunately, there is no circulation as the code shuts down the pumps. I will try unplugging and replugging in the sensors as soon as I dig the hot tub out of the snow tomorrow. I don't want to leave it too long as the temperatures are getting very cold again.

You may want to just go ahead and replace the thermistors, it can generally be done without draining, but involves water gushing out while they are unscrewed so work fast. If you can't get it going, you might want to put a heat lamp or other similar heater in the compartment to keep things from freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.