Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to replace aging Aqualink 2 and Awualink Power Center

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to replace aging Aqualink 2 and Awualink Power Center

I have a17 year old system that has a few problems and was looking at replacing it. I have a bad temperature sensor and now a relay is out and the jandy spaside is stuck. I do not know if I want to repair a old system. I see the iAqualink like the features. I have a couple questions that I hope you guys can help with any suggestions will be appreciated and will help me make a decision.

1 does the IAqualink replace both the inside and outside controls and which iAqualink do I need
    2 is there a good replacement that is not as expensive.
    3 can you automate the heater temperature setting.
    4 can I add a two speed pump at any time to either system
    20000 gal in ground Pentair Screenlogic 2 ez-touch 4
    Teledyne heater Compupool 40k Salt generator
    Pentair VS pump Hayward 4025 Cartridge Filter
    12 person Spa The Pool Cleaner robot
    lot of bushes and trees close to the pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to replace aging Aqualink 2 and Awualink Power Center

Any advice?

3. Back To Top    #3

More than likely you're going to need this. http://www.sunplay.com/Jandy-AquaLin...-p/iq904-p.htm

I'm not sure if your current relays will work with this system or not. To answer your questions.

1. Yes
    2. see link
    3. not sure what you mean here but with the iaqualink you can set everything through a smart phone, tablet, or PC.
    4. iAqualink will work with a 2 speed pump.
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by rdeputy View Post
    I have a17 year old system that has a few problems and was looking at replacing it. I have a bad temperature sensor and now a relay is out and the jandy spaside is stuck. I do not know if I want to repair a old system. I see the iAqualink like the features. I have a couple questions that I hope you guys can help with any suggestions will be appreciated and will help me make a decision.

1 does the IAqualink replace both the inside and outside controls and which iAqualink do I need
    2 is there a good replacement that is not as expensive.
    3 can you automate the heater temperature setting.
    4 can I add a two speed pump at any time to either system

1. The iAqualink upgrade kit (IQ904PS) includes a new control board for the outdoor power center, plus a wifi antenna. The OneTouch indoor panel will work fine with the new board. If you have an "All Button" panel, it should be able to turn things on and off, but may not have the functionality to program most of the new features. The point of the iAqualink is to get away from indoor panels and control everything with a PC/Mac computer, or iOS/Android mobile devices. On the last 10 or so installations I've done, the only interface was a computer or phone/tablet.

2. With the base Aqualink installation you've got, your lowest out-of-pocket upgrade will be the iAqualink kit. Instead of buying the Jandy temp sensor, purchase the Pentair version (part #520272). They are identical replacements and are priced about 1/3 less. Replace the relay(s) as needed.

3. Not sure what you mean by automating the heater. On both your old system or the upgrade, you should have a low voltage link from the Jandy board to turn the heater on or off at the temperature you set on the Aqualink.

4. You can install a two speed motor on your existing Aqualink with a kit (part #6796). If you mean a variable speed pump, yes, the new iAqualink includes software to control a Jandy/Zodiac or Pentair variable speed pump. In my experience, I've found that you're better off using a pump that is made by the control manufacturer.

EDIT: I just noticed that your system is an Aqualink 2. If you have that system, you'll need a different upgrade kit (part #IQ-JNDY-RSPS8), which includes temp sensors. Still the best way to go, since you don't have to replace the entire power center, just the low voltage components.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you JWW and Poolkid.

I was seeing all sorts of options but I really did not know exactly what would work. Now I do. TFP people are the best with the best answers.