Jandy RS-8 keypad freezing when pump is active

hamw

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2011
I have a reproducible problem with my RS8 keypad about which I was hoping someone could offer advice. I have a Rev QQ Pool/Spa RS controller with the RS onetouch keypad. It has been functioning fine, and continues to work well -- until now. When I turn on the pool pump, the RS8 onetouch becomes unresponsive. The LCD display continues to display what was on it, but freezes (does not blank or reboot) and simply won't respond. This does not happen if I turn on or off the light, blower or other relays, only the pump. I've measured the voltage at the red and green wires at the terminal block and the RS8, and they are 10 volts, whether the pump is on or not. I've also reset the keypad and disconnected/reconnected the wires with good tightening of the terminal block screws.

I have had a very noisy A.O. Smith pump, and thinking this might be line noise, I checked the wires in the low-voltage raceway. I have also swapped a couple of the relays and replaced the pump. Even after that the RS– 8 pad still freezes up when the pump comes on. I guess this must be something in the board, but I can't imagine what that is.

This is so frustrating. The keypad works fine until the pump comes on and then freezes. I can't turn the pump off or perform any other functions. However, as soon as I switch off the pump at the circuit breaker, the keypad immediately comes back to life. I can switch the pump relay on and off with the RS-8 keypad, as long as the pump circuit breaker is off. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have reset the RS touchpad but do not know how to reset the RS controller. I've been a little bit reluctant to do so even if I figured it out because that would change all my settings. However, I guess that might be the next best step and I will write all the settings down. Any other thoughts? BTW, how do I reset the controller?

Dave, thank you for getting back. We figured it out – I have had a bad Aqua pure flow sensor which we had not yet replaced given the cold weather and was causing the problem. Once we unplugged the eight pin connector everything started working normally. The codes returned to normal as well on the Aqua pure. I have a new sensor on order. If I have anymore problems, I will post back.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.