Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do I add DE to my spa system?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do I add DE to my spa system?

Hi - pretty new to this - appreciate any help. I have an in-ground infinity edge spa. Water goes over three of the edges and collects in a large (6 ft long, 3 foot wide, 4 feet deep) tank. There are 2 drains at the bottom of the tank that take water back to the pump/filter. There isn't a true skimmer in the system. I'm wondering where I can add DE to the system if I backwash my filter? I don't think adding it to the tank will work - I'm worried it will take a very long time to get pulled into the filter and will settle on the bottom (it's hard to work in the tank as the access opening to it is pretty small). Can I add DE directly to the Jandy pump? Please see pics. Thx, Brian
    2000 gal Spa, IG, Hydrazzo finish, 2.0 HP Zodiac e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Jandy LXI gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do I add DE to my spa system?

Have you checked with the builder? Can you post a picture of the equipment?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Where do I add DE to my spa system?

You can not put it in the pump because you can not have the pump running. I would mix the DE in water in as bucket and slowly pour the slurry over one of the drains with the pump running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!