Northridge, CA
41' x 20' pool; 9x18 shelf then 3.5' - 6' - 4' deep
8' dia spa that spills into pool
2 skimmers
3 cascadecolor bubblers in the shelf
4 magicjet laminars in the deck shooting into the pool
2 intellibrite 5g color led lights in the pool
1 intellibrite 5g color led light in the spa

His quote doesn't include any equipment.

$17k. That seems excessive, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

Other guys are coming to give estimates tomorrow.

It looks like there is quite a bit of material and labor included. You could request a breakdown of each to get a better idea of what you're paying for. The competitive proposals should help give you an idea of what the cost should be.

FYI, I am an owner builder currently building my pool. I went with what I thought was a relatively low risk plumber and electrician - I had slightly lower bids but was willing to pay a little more to minimize risk, since I was doing it myself. I have a saltwater pool, pentair equipment(variable speed pump), 3 white lights (2 pool, 1 spa), etc. I also had some extra stuff done since my gas line needed to be replaced, but I only have 6 jets in the spa and nothing special in the pool. Plumbing, equipment, electrical total was about $15,700, and that includes the extra stuff for the gas line. Good luck.

It's hard to look at individual components of a project and be happy with the cost. It's hard enough to come to terms with the total. I chose to focus on the total bids of each builder, knowing that each one would vary by the profit they allocated to each part. That kept me from going crazy. They need to make money and how much they make is to a large degree, based on how much competition there is in your location. I felt that I was treated very well (not nickel and dimed) by not going after the PB for each area during the negotiation stage. That left him money that he was able to "dispense" to me via various and sundry items/issues along the way.

That piece may in fact be high, but taken in total, it may all make sense. I'll be curious to see how your other quotes compare, in total.

It's hard to look at individual components of a project and be happy with the cost. It's hard enough to come to terms with the total. I chose to focus on the total bids of each builder, knowing that each one would vary by the profit they allocated to each part. That kept me from going crazy. They need to make money and how much they make is to a large degree, based on how much competition there is in your location. I felt that I was treated very well (not nickel and dimed) by not going after the PB for each area during the negotiation stage. That left him money that he was able to "dispense" to me via various and sundry items/issues along the way.

That piece may in fact be high, but taken in total, it may all make sense. I'll be curious to see how your other quotes compare, in total.

Understood, when using a PB. But I'm doing this as OB, so this sub is just being tasked with plumbing. In the process of getting other bids. Maybe this guy just didn't really want the job.

Oops. I missed that part.

My advice then, based on my experience in that arena (which is none) is good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.