Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with my decision on a pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help with my decision on a pump

Hi Guys...would love to have some experienced input on what to get for a pump for my new 27' AGP. Will be using Hayward Aqua-Trol SWG and either the Hayward Heat Pro 110 BTU heat pump or the Raypak 117BTU heatpump (still undecided...have a seperate thread looking for input on THAT decision!). The company I'm getting my pool from only offers Waterway pumps and sand filters. I would be looking at the Waterway Clear Water 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed.
    I kind of had my heart set on a Hawyard pump only because they've been highly recommended to me by people around here who are using them. I was considering purchasing my pump and filter seperately from a different site and was looking at either the Hayward 1.5HP Turbo Flo II or the Hayward 1.5 HP Flo Matrix pump....with Hayward 19" Sand filter.
    The other thing I'm wondering is if it's worthwhile or smart to upgrade to the 2 speed pump with my set up described above.
    I appreciate any and all advice on these decisions!
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

I would go with a 2 speed pump. Even a 1 hp 2 speed would be fine for you. You will save money on your electric bill with a 2 speed.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Please help with my decision on a pump

Thanks for the reply! What would be the benefits, if any, of 1.5 hp instead of 1hp. Id rather go overkill than not enough

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as you are getting a two speed pump, the 1 vs 1.5 HP difference is minor, and there are some minor advantages each way. For a single speed pump the larger pump will use more electricity and make more noise and not really improve much of anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The 1.5 hp matrix is only rated at 5 gpm more than the 1 hp matrix. Sometimes bigger isn't better
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. ..so does the 2 speed pump have a high speed that's faster than normal. ..or just a low speed that's lower than normal? And when would you switch between high and low speed?.... Will this affect the function of my heat pump or swg?

7. Back To Top    #7

High is normal and low speed is ~1/2 the flow rate of high speed and at about ~1/4 the power. As for the swg, usually you will have enough flow rate to run it on low speed, but your plumbing also determines flow rate, I am not sure on the flow rate specs on the heat pump.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

On the filter, assuming you are getting a 54" high pool wall, your volume is 17100 gallons and we would recommend a minimum 3.69 sq. ft. filter (26" diameter).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again! ... all great info. I hag no idea I'd need that big of a filter. .. any of the packages I've looked at have 19-22" filter. ..

10. Back To Top    #10

That's the problem with the pump, filter packages, the pump is usually too big and the filter is too small. We like to recommend bigger filters as it cuts down on how often you have to backwash or clean if it's a cart.
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok... so the 19 or 22" filter would work as effectively. ..I'd just need to backwash it more often?

12. Back To Top    #12

Can you get away with a smaller filter, possibly...but our recommendations are based off of the APSP-15 Standard and the experience of many many pool owners. Our recommended sizes should help keep your pool "trouble free." Also, a pump too large for a filter can cause the sand filter to channel and no longer filter effectively...though the pumps and filters you have mentioned probably won't have that problem. Additionally, if you do get an algae outbreak or if you get excessive debris in you pool, you will appreciate a larger filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Awesome info! ... thanks again

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok...I've talked to one of the most reputable pool sales/service/installers in my area. I asked him about 2 speed pumps. He deals with Hayward pumps, primarily. He told me that they sold them for awhile, but were constantly having problems with the circuit boards burning up... so now they literally don't even sell them. I love the idea of the power savings...but it isn't worth it for me if I can expect to have problems with the pump... Anyone have experience with this issue?

15. Back To Top    #15

I've had ZERO problems with my pump, nor have I heard of any problems.
    Jeff

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    I've had ZERO problems with my pump, nor have I heard of any problems.
    2 speed Hayward pump? How long have you had it?

17. Back To Top    #17

You can use a simple toggle switch to switch between high/low speed. No board to burn up. (Very cost effective compared to a Variable Speed motor when electric cost are less than $.30 KWH.

I see your going to be adding a SWCG, that's awsome, but you'll need to have the pump running for it to work. SWCG are great to maintain the chlorine level but not great to raise/shock (Use liquid chlorine to do that.) You'll be able to run your pump on low 90% of the time saving you money. The variable speed series of pumps add value when you have large power cost ($.40 KWH), otherwise two speed motors offer a better value.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

18. Back To Top    #18

There is no circuit board to burn up in a 2-speed pump You just have a SPDT toggle switch. Some pumps come with the switch installed on the pump, or you can use a house 3-way switch remotely.

I like my Pentair Superflo 2-speed ... works well with my automation, although for a few months I just manually turned on high speed when I needed it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok....what about the Hayward Power Flo Matrix 2 speed pump?... does that have a toggle switch built in to go from low-high speed?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by coreyadam View Post
    Ok....what about the Hayward Power Flo Matrix 2 speed pump?... does that have a toggle switch built in to go from low-high speed?
    When I go on Hayward's website, they don't seem to advertise the 2 speed... I've found it for sale in a few places...but don't like that Hayward themselves aren't advertising it... any thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast