Pentair Ultratemp Installation

teeks

Feb 1, 2014
Hello,
I just had a Pentair Ultratemp 110 heat pump professionally installed by a pool service that has good reviews and references for their service. After the pump was installed I read the manual for the heat pump and the installation said that the heat pump should be a minimum of 6 inches from the wall of the house. Mine was installed one inch from the wall. I spoke with the installer who said that the minimum distance is just a manufacturers suggestion. After speaking with Pentair they thought is was important that the unit be at least 6 inches from the wall. The installer then said that he's a certified warranty repair shop for Pentair and that they are not correct and there is no problem with the one inch distance from heat pump to wall. I'm looking for your opinions from other Pentair heat pump owners. Any of you have your pentair heat pump one inch from the wall with no issues? The pool service did say they would move it but feel I'm being silly for wanting it moved out another 5 inches or more.

Your advice is appreciated. Is it no big deal or should I have them install it as the manual says it should be?

Thanks for your time.
Teeks

Teeks I am also a Pentair service center and a certified installer. Your question is a good one, but there is more information needed. Where are you located? I assume the unit was placed against the wall of your house? What I have seen in Missouri in the summer late July and August we can have 100+ F with 90-100% humidity these units use to shut down to overlimit temps inside the units when placed to close and airflow was not achieved. That issue was corrected and haven't had a problem since.

20140202_082934.jpg

Thanks, swimcmp. I'm is SW Florida, Fort Myers area. Yes the pool is next to wall of house. When you say the issue was corrected are you saying in newer units or it was corrected by moving the unit away from the building. My concern is efficiency and longevity. Am I paying more to run it if its an inch away, might it use less energy if it was 6 or more inches away? There is a picture attached.

Manufacturers distance is usually more for the repair person if something goes wrong. Looking at your picture, the amount of surface close to the side of the house is less than the amount not "blocked by the wall. I do not believe that this would pose any efficiency issues or create any harm to the system. To me it looks like the installer might have been trying to keep all of your equipment "in line" so there would be a nice appearance, maybe. I could also look at it and think maybe they only had a certain length of electrical whip with them and they were then forced to install as close as they did. Either way I really don't think it's going to hurt the unit where it is positioned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.