Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in del ozone piping system

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in del ozone piping system

Hello,

I have a del ozone system and the black pipe where the ozone feed to the pool water is leaking at the joint with the PVC pipe (see attached photo). I have put some outdoor sealant to try to patch it up but it is not working. I got a $500 quote to repair the leak (replacing the black pipe) from a pool company It seems quite expensive considering the whole del ozone system only costs $1000. Any suggestions as to what can I do to patch the leak? I found some epoxy at lowes and it states it has strength for 3000psi. Can those epoxy be used?

Appreciate and thanks for the advice..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13,500 Gunite with Pebble Tec Pool and Spa, Jandy 2hp Stealth epump, Jandy 1.25 hp pump for water feature and bubbles, Jandy CL 460, Polaris 280, DEL Eclipse, Jandy LRZ 400k TF100 Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak in del ozone piping system

That black section is the Ozone venturi intake, it sucks the ozone into the flowing water instead of letting water leak out. I can't tell the size of the one in your photo, but it should not cost more than $50, or so. $500 is insane
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you think I could use some epoxy to patch the leak? I tried some outdoor sealant I think rated at 300psi and that wasn't effective. The epoxy I saw in Lowes has a psi rating of 3000.
    13,500 Gunite with Pebble Tec Pool and Spa, Jandy 2hp Stealth epump, Jandy 1.25 hp pump for water feature and bubbles, Jandy CL 460, Polaris 280, DEL Eclipse, Jandy LRZ 400k TF100 Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Epoxy is not the right approach. You need to disassemble the connections at both ends, clean all surfaces and re-install the pipe (or better a new one) correctly. Attempting to patch a leak from the outside of a connection, such as what was already attempted in the photos, almost invariably fails.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School