DE Filter: Multi-valve vs Push/Pull

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hello all,

Wonder if I may ask a question of you? My DE filter is currently plumbed with a multi-valve, but it has failed due to a crack in the housing. Can you tell me the pros/cons of the 2 options above? Am I correct in thinking the push/pull does not allow backwash or 'send to waste' function?

Thanks in advance!
Beez

Thanks, Jason! So do you know if the backwash function of the push/pull valve can be plumbed to an existing waste line? (probably a dumb question, but consider the source :))

It might help to put the question in context. I'm trying to decide if I should stay with the multi or go with push/pull to save money... I am being advised to go with push/pull by a very good helpful friend, but want to make sure I have all the info before final decision.

Personally, I would not go back to the push pull I had at previous house. Sometimes it is nice to have the options.

Sure you can connect the backwash into the existing waste line if you want ... just a little PVC work.

I would love to have a multiport, but not bad enough to start cutting pipes. I see the big advantage as having the waste setting. After one of our rare rains, the pool ends up so full the skimmers don't work, so some water needs to be drained off. It would be so much easier and faster to just turn the dial and throw the switch and let 'er rip.

I'll raise an issue (that I don't know the answer to :))- the multi-valve may introduce more head pressure into the system that a push-pull. Never tested it, and it would certainly depend on the design- anyone have any data on this?

texasmax, the dynamic head introduced by various main valves varies quite a bit by the specific design used. However, all of them are low enough that this is not an especially significant issue overall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.