Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter: Multi-valve vs Push/Pull

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter: Multi-valve vs Push/Pull

Hello all,

Wonder if I may ask a question of you? My DE filter is currently plumbed with a multi-valve, but it has failed due to a crack in the housing. Can you tell me the pros/cons of the 2 options above? Am I correct in thinking the push/pull does not allow backwash or 'send to waste' function?

Thanks in advance!
    Beez
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter: Multi-valve vs Push/Pull

Push pull only has filter and backwash, no waste or recirculation or rinse.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason! So do you know if the backwash function of the push/pull valve can be plumbed to an existing waste line? (probably a dumb question, but consider the source )

It might help to put the question in context. I'm trying to decide if I should stay with the multi or go with push/pull to save money... I am being advised to go with push/pull by a very good helpful friend, but want to make sure I have all the info before final decision.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Personally, I would not go back to the push pull I had at previous house. Sometimes it is nice to have the options.

Sure you can connect the backwash into the existing waste line if you want ... just a little PVC work.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input, jblizzle!

6. Back To Top    #6

I would love to have a multiport, but not bad enough to start cutting pipes. I see the big advantage as having the waste setting. After one of our rare rains, the pool ends up so full the skimmers don't work, so some water needs to be drained off. It would be so much easier and faster to just turn the dial and throw the switch and let 'er rip.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll raise an issue (that I don't know the answer to )- the multi-valve may introduce more head pressure into the system that a push-pull. Never tested it, and it would certainly depend on the design- anyone have any data on this?

8. Back To Top    #8

texasmax, the dynamic head introduced by various main valves varies quite a bit by the specific design used. However, all of them are low enough that this is not an especially significant issue overall.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School