Issued Developed maintaining PH

Jul 14, 2011
I have followed the dichlor than bleach method on here successfully for a year in my hot tub. I used to have a whole house filtration/antiscale system that still allowed the well water calcium to be at 360 ppm. I used to set my TA at 80, and would hardly ever have to mess with PH. The wife didn't like the filtration system, so we switched back to a water softner. When I refilled the hot tub, of course the calcium was at 0, so I added calcium until 150. No matter where I set TA at now, the PH keeps rising above 8, even during the week when we don't use the tub. I have lowered TA down to 50 and up to a 100, and still have PH rise regardless of jets(aeration) time.

Any thoughts on this? Do I need to add calcium to mimic well water again?

Thanks.

If your previous calcium was 360 ppm, then it might be calcium carbonate scale dissolving and raising the pH. If the chlorine is high, it might be a false reading. Try maintaining a lower TA.

Are there signs of scaling?

There should be nothing about the calcium hardness level that would have caused a decrease (or increase) in rate of ph rise in your spa. As you already have, I would continue to look for other potential changes, such as more aeration action due to less blockage in pipes, etc. maybe even when aeration is supposed to be "off". Another thing to help with ph rise is keeping your TA down around 50 ppm and adding 50 ppm of borates.

How often are you adding makeup water to your spa? What is the makeup water TA and ph?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.