Help with selecting a New Pump!

Feb 27, 2011
Marietta, Georgia
I have 4 pumps all of which are Pentair w/ Challenger High Pressure models as follows:

1) 2 HP running slide
2) 2 HP running a cascading waterfall
3) 1.5 HP running a floor cleaning system
4) 2 HP running the filter with in-floor pop up cleaning returns

Bearings are out on the Main pump and one of the sellers recommended going with a 2 HP pentair superflo to replace it as I could get a brand new pump and motor for the price of just replacing the motor the existing system. He went on to say the the Challenger pump is obsolete and dated and that they go bad over time and I will have to replace soon.

I'm skeptical as I am afraid I would lose GPM pumping with the superflo as compared to the Challenger pump. Could anyone give me your thoughts on which direction to go. Would you replace the whole pump or just the motor and would I be losing flow with the superflo as compared to the Challenger? I can get the superflo pump w/ motor for $339 and a new motor for the Challenger for $300.

That is a lot of pumps. I do not understand, you have 2 pumps running separate in-floor pop-ups?

If it was just a circulation / filtration pump, then we recommend going with a small 2-speed pump ... but that does not work if you have higher flow needs for pop-ups.

Or did you mean that #3 is a booster pump for a pressure side cleaner?

That is a lot of pumps. I do not understand, you have 2 pumps running separate in-floor pop-ups?

If it was just a circulation / filtration pump, then we recommend going with a small 2-speed pump ... but that does not work if you have higher flow needs for pop-ups.

Or did you mean that #3 is a booster pump for a pressure side cleaner?

No the booster pump would make 5. One of the pumps runs the suction for the debris drain. The other pump runs the filter and returns in to the pop up heads on the floor.

a new motor with seal is 270 on ebay shipped. I can see looking at the pump how it could fail, mine is just a plastic body, I think it could last through a nuclear war. When I have to replace my motor again, I will probably try one of these http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/ecotech-ez-programmable-variable-speed-motor-and-control/145474p1

Could you show me where on ebay I can get that $270 deal with seal. Im looking for a 2HP motor. Also, the pump that you had the link too seems cost efficient given but since I have a control system that can be programmed I dont think this will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.