Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Brands - Pros and Cons?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Brands - Pros and Cons?

I have been happy with the filtering performance but need to replace my Tagelus TA-60 due to a leak in the tank.

I will most likely replace it with a filter/multi-valve combo so am wondering if you guys can weigh in on brand preference and why you like what you like?

Price is certainly a big consideration but reliability/ease of use might outweigh cost if there are big differences between brands.

Thanks
    24000 gal vinyl IG; CPSC36 SWG, TA-60 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Brands - Pros and Cons?

If you stick with the major brands, then I am not sure there is very much difference between them.
    After all it is just a big bucket of sand
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're happy with the Tagelus, I see no reason to change. The only suggestion I'd make is that I'd go with the TA-80 for a pool your size.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses guys.

I agree on the tank; brand probably doesn't matter. I was asking more about any differences in the valves or internal components between brands.

For example, Sand Dollar SD-60 is available with or without "Clear-Pro Technology". Is it worth the $50 difference in price?

Also, thanks for the suggestion about upsizing. If I do that, are there any issues operating with the same size pumps and motors?
    24000 gal vinyl IG; CPSC36 SWG, TA-60 Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd have gotten the clear pro (at least the Pentair version) for mine if it were available - just as an experiment. But, for my filter's size, they don't make it. But I have to say, my water is CRYSTAL clear right now, so I really didn't have any reason to want it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not sure pentair sells a TA80 now, they do sell the sand dollar line in a SD80. With that said, I would probably go larger and look at the TA100D which is in line with our recommended size for you volume pool. I do not believe that comes in a clear-pro version. In regards to the clear-pro technology, we have not had much user experience posted on here.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

I wouldn't pay extra for the clear-pro.
    I have a SD-60 and am happy with it. I'd suggest going with the SD-80 or TA-100.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit