Solar Heating AGP - Worth It?

Jun 15, 2013
Hey Guys,

I have a 10,000 Gal above ground pool and am trying to get it a few degrees warmer during the summer so its more enjoyable.

I am looking into putting a 4'x20' cheap pre made solar panel in to do the job in conjunction with my solar pool cover, but I'm not sure if its really going to make a difference and I don't want to waste the time/money.

Has anyone else tried this similar setup? I'd like to hear some recommendations from people who have already gone down this route. I live in mid Ohio.

Thanks!

Have you already been using the cover and not getting the water warm enough?

Any amount of solar panel heating will add heat to the pool, obviously the more square feet of panel the more heat you will get.

What are the dimensions of your pool?
Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Like Jason said it is hard to say how much it will help without knowing details about your pool and location. having said that, any solar panel beats no solar panel, the question is how much would be enough for you, are you wanting to extend your swim season, add to peak temperature in the summer, both, by how much? After all one person my be happy with 78 degree water and another can't stand getting into anything cooler than 90.

Ike

Sorry, it's an AGP can remember the exact demensions but its between 10-11K gallons, 3.5 ft deep, oval. The plan is to get just one of these panels and use it in conjunction with the solar cover, which i always leave on when the pool isn't in use.

I was mainly just wondering if this huge $200 eye-soar is going to actually do anything. We are comfy in the water if its above 80. Normally for us, with the cover, it is only above 80 in late june - july. I'd be happy if we can just be comfortable during the summer months.

Your pool being shallow is going to have about 450 sq ft of surface area, as a rule of thumb you need at least 50% of your surface area in solar panels to provide "effective heating" , a single 4x20 panel would be about half of the suggested minimum, so while it would do something if it would be enough is hard to say. This is sort of like asking will a single plug in cube heater heat my house, and the answer is much the same, any heater is better than no heater.....

Ike

p.s. the fact that you have a shallow pool is working against you here as pools loose most of their heat through the surface

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.