Changing Underwater Pool Light?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I'm new to pools and the previous owner left quite a bit to tune up around the pool and house. There is a switch to turn the pool light on, and another switch that activates the color changing feature of the pool light (two labeled switches on the wall). Other switches around the wall do work to operate the fountains, etc. so I'm guessing the bulb needs to be replaced.

Anything else to consider before replacing the bulb? My main question is how I go about doing that, any good DIY or tutorial, is it as simple as draining the pool to gain access and pretty self explanaory from there or are they made to be replaced under water?

Any good replacement brand or type? I read some other threads using standard LED floodlights that seem to be lasting a year+ and that being a good argument for the low price around $35 versus $300+ for pool versions.

I think there is supposed to be enough slack coiled into the light niche to allow you to remove it and service it on the deck, above the water line. That is how both of my lights were installed. As to how to service it once it's out... it would be highly dependent on the specific make/model.

No need to drain the pool. There is usually a single screw holding the light in the niche. Then hopefully there is enough cord to pull the light up on the deck so you can change the bulb. Usually a good idea to replace the gasket whenever you open it up.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get it out and do some investigation regards make/model and getting a replacement seal. From a bulb perspective, from the searching I did I saw a lot of $300-$500 being thrown around for replacement bulbs. Is that typical for a good pool bulb? Why are they so expensive? I see Leslie's has a bunch in the normal $10-$30 range...

I paid less than $300 to get a color changing LED bulb ... I only have 1 switch that turns it on and changes color. I am not sure what type you have where there are 2 switches (one for on/off and one for colors?).

If you are just looking for a white bulb, I would not think they are that expensive.

I know I know... I ask obvious questions then realize I should just try using google first...

- - - Updated - - -

I paid less than $300 to get a color changing LED bulb ... I only have 1 switch that turns it on and changes color. I am not sure what type you have where there are 2 switches (one for on/off and one for colors?).

If you are just looking for a white bulb, I would not think they are that expensive.

Yeah, it is strange. I'll have to pull it out and see what it is going on as the wall has two switches, one uniquely marked "Pool Light" and the other "Pool Color".

When you unscrew the housing and take it out you should get the housing info. Also what kind of light transformer/power supply do you have?

For some reason I can't upload pictures... keeps saying I've exceeded my quota, but I'm only trying to upload pictures <100kb. Anyway, I do indeed have two switches on the wall, one says "color" and the other says "light". The pool breaker box only has one breaker switch labeled "light". The box is a T30404R. Any reason to turn off the main house breaker power to the pool, or just the switches at the pool's breaker panel?

http://www.intermatic.com/en/Produc...al_Control_Panels/T30000R_Series/T30404R.aspx

Doesn't hurt to be extra cautious when working with electricity and water. You may have to reset a couple of timers, but I'd suggest turning the main breaker and the lighting breakers off. You never know if someone changed something around and didn't bother remarking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I pulled the housing out and looks like I have a Fiberstars Jazz Light. Housing says replacement part is J20-2000. Looks like that part is available at a few places in the $100-$200 range, but also looks to be discontinued by the manufacturer. It also seemed like the gasket was pretty well stuck in there and the replacement kit comes with a new gasket which makes sense considering I would probably have to tear the old gasket to get it off.

Any advice, suggestions on replacements or what my options are?

EDIT: So I just went out and turned the breakers back on and for the heck of it, tried the light again. I turned on just the "light" switch and a yellow light indeed came on, though was hard to see because it is sunny/daylight right now. I then went back and turned the "color" switch on and the light started rotating colors... purple, green, etc.

What in the heck! I'll try it again at night to see how bright it is getting.

From the manual that's available online it say's it's a metal halide bulb which I think eventually dies in the manner your seeing - intermittent and dim operation. So I think a bulb change is the right way to go. Definitely read the manual so you know what they want for water sealing and cord stowage.

Edit: Not sure why the link I created adds additional characters but if you get a page that says it's a bad link, just backspace out the %E2%80%8E characters and hit the return key and it should load.

From the manual that's available online it say's it's a metal halide bulb which I think eventually dies in the manner your seeing - intermittent and dim operation. So I think a bulb change is the right way to go. Definitely read the manual so you know what they want for water sealing and cord stowage.

Edit: Not sure why the link I created adds additional characters but if you get a page that says it's a bad link, just backspace out the %E2%80%8E characters and hit the return key and it should load.

Thanks, good advice. Yeah even though I saw the light in the daylight, it looked rather dim and was completely not working before I started messing with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.