Do I need a hydrostatic relief valve (HRV) stalled?

Angnjam

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Southern California
I am in Temecula, CA 92592 and I just had my plaster contractor come and give me a bid. He looked at the pool and asked, "where's your hydrostatic relief valve?" Well this is the first I'd heard of one of these. I guess it's to relieve pressure on the pool if water builds up under it, then it allows the water to enter the pool thought the one way valve I stead of building up and causing the pool to lift or float. Do I need to install one before pebble plaster install? If so, will it be inferior quality since it wasn't installed before shotcrete? How much would this cost me to install. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on if Tahoe blue Stonescapes has a green tint to it? I also like Tropics Blue Stonescapes and Aqua Blue Stonescapes? Any advise on those 3 colors? Anything I need to make sure they do before or during plaster installation? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
You only need a HRV if you have high groundwater ... local builders would have a better feel for that. Or try talking to the county?

Around here (AZ) the water table is 100s of feet down, so there is no need for one.

From my research most hydrostatic relief valves are in the main drain, I had to take my drain cover off to see it. Do you have any idea what the water table is in your area? I looked through multiple websites and called multiple town offices to try to determine the water table in my area, however nobody knew. As a result I took a post digger and dug a hole as deep as my pool and kept an eye on it for a few days to see if it filled with any water. Luckly for me the hole stayed dry so I was able to confirm that my water table was below the depth of my pool.

I also believe the only time you have to worry about lifting/floating your pool is when you drain it (partially or fully), as you will have to do when you replaster your pool. If you have any concerns about it I would recommend digging the hole as I did.

Around here we just use removable plugs in the drain bowl. My PB mentioned the option of a hydrostatic valve, but said the plugs were perfectly fine as long as they were used any time the pool was drained. As noted, our water table is quite high though. The pool guys around here all have stories of (other people) who messed up and popped a pool being renovated.

Thank you for your replies. And J.T. Your pool color and pebble are pretty. Thank for sharing. Our tropic blue is $800 more so I think we'll go with Aqua white and then add some black pebble (not sure what percentage yet) and a few abalone shells. It's $500 cheaper that way. And by chance, has anyone installed the in your face shark mosaic? And if so, did you have pebble? If so, what color is your pebble. I've been told the mosaic wont show up very well in tropic blue, Tahoe blue, or mauve Stonescapes. I'm wondering if this is true.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.