automatic chlorinator setting

May 21, 2008
Clover, SC
I was wondering what I shuold set the chlorinator at to keep from getting to much CYA or not have enough . My pool is 16' x 32', 22,000 gal with a hayward filter system. Last year I had to close my pool in August, because of algae. The CYA level was to high and with the drought we had here in S.C., I wasn't able to drain it and refill to get the level down. So the algae made it's self at home until now. I don't want it to get out of hand now, especially since it looks like we might be in drought again. It has taken me a month to get it swimable. Thanks, R.D.

The problem is that if you set it high enough to maintain the chlorine, the CYA will get too high. The only options are regular water changes or quit using the chlorinator.

Roger, it always comes back to testing the chem levels!!

This post discusses some of the things you're asking about read me. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but re-reading the Pool School info is always! helpful :)

With potential water restrictions, you want to make sure that your cya level doesn't get too high (you should also insure that any teenage offspring don't get too high :lol: ) - as such, when the tablets have gotten you to a cya level that you are comfortable with, simply switch to unscented bleach as your chlorine source :thumleft: This info is all over TFP, but can always bear repeating :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.