I received my TF-100 & Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Here are my results.

Judodad

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 20, 2014
Burleson, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Water temp is 42 degrees. Water is clear.
FC- 0.5
CC- 0.5
TC-.1
CH- 350 (some calcium deposits on some tiles & deposits on rocks in water under waterfall)
TA- 90
CYA- 30
PH- 7.8
Borate test strip shows 15 but I haven't added any.
Salt- 3000

Should I worry about the CYA in winter when water temp is cold & how will the cold water affect my results?
I just added acid & bleach according to pool math calculator. I do want to add Borax after reading about the positives in the forum. Should I wait till water warms up for borax or is now a good time? I plan on adding salt tomorrow.....Thanks in advance for your responses!

Good job on getting some bleach in there. FC levels will hold longer with the cold water temp.

As for the CYA test. It is a little sensitive to water temp. Take the water same indoors and let it come to room temp.

I would wait on the borates. There's a little more to it than just throwing a bunch of borax at it.

Another question I had was about salt readings in winter. Will the test results usually read lower ppm with cold water? The reason I ask is that last winter my panel was reading around 2800. I added a couple of bags of salt salt and it it didn't raise it much. I didn't add any more salt after that and when the water temp started climbing so did my salt reading on the panel. Are the test results with the K-1766 more accurate than this?

That's what I figured Jason. I'm a little low on salt according to my tests from above, does the salt read lower with cold water? I know the swg will show low salt below 52 but will the Taylor salt test K-1766 read low also?...thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what I figured Jason. I'm a little low on salt according to my tests from above, does the salt read lower with cold water? I know the swg will show low salt below 52 but will the Taylor salt test K-1766 read low also?...thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think only the CYA test is affected by water temperature.

I must admit I've noticed my salt reading from the cell drop on the reading on my remote when it's cold and go back up when it's warm. I haven't worried about it because at those temps it's been too cold for the cell to work so it's shut off anyway.

It should warm up this weekend and I have salt test strips now so I'll compare it to my numbers from Tuesday night when it was cold to see if it's just the cell reading that seems to drop in the cold weather.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.