Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I received my TF-100 & Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Here are my results.

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation I received my TF-100 & Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Here are my results.

Water temp is 42 degrees. Water is clear.
    FC- 0.5
    CC- 0.5
    TC-.1
    CH- 350 (some calcium deposits on some tiles & deposits on rocks in water under waterfall)
    TA- 90
    CYA- 30
    PH- 7.8
    Borate test strip shows 15 but I haven't added any.
    Salt- 3000

Should I worry about the CYA in winter when water temp is cold & how will the cold water affect my results?
    I just added acid & bleach according to pool math calculator. I do want to add Borax after reading about the positives in the forum. Should I wait till water warms up for borax or is now a good time? I plan on adding salt tomorrow.....Thanks in advance for your responses!
    17k gal., IG, Pebble Sheen,150 GPM Cartridge CCP420 Pentair 420 Sq.ft Filter, 3 HP Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pump, Letro Legend 4 Wheel Cleaner, 2 HP Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Easy Touch Control System With Remote, Intellibrite Led Light, Waterfall, Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Tanning Ledge w Bubblers, 2 Skimmers, 4 Returns, Built In January 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I received my TF-100 & Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Here are my results.

Good job on getting some bleach in there. FC levels will hold longer with the cold water temp.

As for the CYA test. It is a little sensitive to water temp. Take the water same indoors and let it come to room temp.

I would wait on the borates. There's a little more to it than just throwing a bunch of borax at it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Something is not right with your chlorine numbers. If you used 10 ml of water then each drop is 0.5ppm. That is the way your should do the test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The chlorine test only required 1drop to change. Is there something I'm missing?
    17k gal., IG, Pebble Sheen,150 GPM Cartridge CCP420 Pentair 420 Sq.ft Filter, 3 HP Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pump, Letro Legend 4 Wheel Cleaner, 2 HP Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Easy Touch Control System With Remote, Intellibrite Led Light, Waterfall, Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Tanning Ledge w Bubblers, 2 Skimmers, 4 Returns, Built In January 2011.

5. Back To Top    #5

So it is 0.5 and not 0.05 like you wrote
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Another question I had was about salt readings in winter. Will the test results usually read lower ppm with cold water? The reason I ask is that last winter my panel was reading around 2800. I added a couple of bags of salt salt and it it didn't raise it much. I didn't add any more salt after that and when the water temp started climbing so did my salt reading on the panel. Are the test results with the K-1766 more accurate than this?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    So it is 0.5 and not 0.05 like you wrote
    Your exactly right Jason. I typed it wrong. Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Tested my fill/tap water:
    FC - .5
    CH - 75
    TA - 250
    PH - 8.2
    Sound about right?

9. Back To Top    #9

There is no "right" ... it is pretty soft, but the pH and TA are very high which is going to require a lot of acid to keep the pool in range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

That's what I figured Jason. I'm a little low on salt according to my tests from above, does the salt read lower with cold water? I know the swg will show low salt below 52 but will the Taylor salt test K-1766 read low also?...thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

I think only the CYA test is affected by water temperature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Judodad View Post
    That's what I figured Jason. I'm a little low on salt according to my tests from above, does the salt read lower with cold water? I know the swg will show low salt below 52 but will the Taylor salt test K-1766 read low also?...thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I think only the CYA test is affected by water temperature.
    I must admit I've noticed my salt reading from the cell drop on the reading on my remote when it's cold and go back up when it's warm. I haven't worried about it because at those temps it's been too cold for the cell to work so it's shut off anyway.

It should warm up this weekend and I have salt test strips now so I'll compare it to my numbers from Tuesday night when it was cold to see if it's just the cell reading that seems to drop in the cold weather.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod