pip dope or tape?

Iciee

Jul 5, 2011
phoenix
I replumbed my pad last year and appears I have a leak, well two now. One at the elbow after the pump going to the filter (probably not enough glue). And the second one appears to be coming from the threaded insert that goes in the pump. I used dope on it last year and wondering what could be causing it to leak (dribble but still a leak).

I guess someone has to vote for tape, but I have a good bit of experience with it on high pressure and fuel lines, etc. I think paste is easier and tape tends to work better if it is done right.

I guess someone has to vote for tape, but I have a good bit of experience with it on high pressure and fuel lines, etc. I think paste is easier and tape tends to work better if it is done right.

That's the key with tape, has to be done right. I've used tape, I just use it on small dia. fittings. On the big stuff I go with the paste. It's never failed me.

That's the key with tape, has to be done right. I've used tape, I just use it on small dia. fittings. On the big stuff I go with the paste. It's never failed me.

What is the "correct" way to use the tape? I've successfully used the tape quite often with indoor plumbing on 1/2" lines and such, but I am not having much success on my 1 1/2" fittings on the swimming pool.

I've successfully used the tape quite often with indoor plumbing on 1/2" lines and such, but I am not having much success on my 1 1/2" fittings on the swimming pool.
That has been my experience as well.

I think you know we have had this discussion several times on the forum and what we learn is that everyone does it a bit differently.

The ultimate answer is probably to do what you are comfortable with. I am comfortable taping 1" or less and doping 1.25" or greater but it's only because I have done that before and it "feels" right to me......not because it is the definitive answer.

There are likely many on this forum that can easily tape a 3" joint or dope a 1/2" joint.

Of course, if you are helping someone inexperienced, you should slap them upside the head if they try to do it any way but your way......they will marvel at your great skills! :salut::salut:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.