This one time, at band clamp...

Dabby

Aug 16, 2010
Saginaw, TX
I had not been out to the equipment pad in awhile. When I did, this is what I found:

photo3.jpg
[/URL]

I thought at first it was corrosion, but when I took the clamp off and examined it more closely, I would say it was a salt and/or calcium buildup. There appeared to be no damage to the metal itself. When I cleaned the clamp, the black coating came off and I could see that the buildup started under the coating and caused it to peel off. You can see in the pictures that the filter housing itself was damp around the clamp. Apparently water had been seeping through the seam for a long time. I did not notice any leakage the last time I cleaned the filter a few months ago.

I took the filter apart and cleaned it all out and inspected the o-ring. I did not see any cracks or damage. It is only 4 years old. I put it all back together and I have been watching it for a few days. I don't see as much dampness on the filter, but it looks like there is a little bit in the area around where the clamp hinges are located.

Several question:
Any idea what could have caused this? Clamp too tight or too loose? We have had up and down temperatures for awhile - Highs in the 70's then down to highs in the 30's then back again. Could that have had anything to do with it? Does the clamp need to be replaced now that the metal is exposed?

Those new clamps are aluminum and they can corrode like that. I would recommend cleaning and painting it to help reduce further corrosion.

The nut that tightens the clamp looks wrong. It looks like it's cheap steel, but it should be brass.

If there's any doubt about the integrity of the clamp, it should be replaced. ($$$) unfortunately.

I had two experiences to my filter leaking at the clamp. The first was the O Ring moved while I put the top back on and did not notice. The other time was that I had some dirt on the inside of the top part where it meets the O Ring. As a result I did not get a complete seal.

Several answers to questions:
Any idea what could have caused this? Corrosion due to wear/exposure.

Clamp too tight or too loose? Not sure. It could be a little loose but looks like normal wear. Maybe use a little silicone grease on the seal when you replace it. Make sure it's tight. The manual may say how to tighten it. Using a ¾” socket on a torque wrench, torque clamp nut to clamp bolt to 150 inch-lbs.
Here's the manual: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProGrid-DExx20.pdf

We have had up and down temperatures for awhile - Highs in the 70's then down to highs in the 30's then back again. Could that have had anything to do with it? Could be due to some temperature expansion/contraction.

Does the clamp need to be replaced now that the metal is exposed? No just cleam/prime/paint it. You should be good to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.