Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Aquapure 1400...How fast will it boost the chlorine levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy Aquapure 1400...How fast will it boost the chlorine levels?

We finally hit 51 degrees in the pool today so I wanted to boost the chlorine before it cools back down. If I run it at 100% will I get enough chlorine in a few hours to make a difference? I am just wondering if I should leave it on or turn it off until temps are consistent.
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy Aquapure 1400...How fast will it boost the chlorine levels?

Not worth the effort. Just pour a jug of bleach in if you want a temp boost of FC. (Ideally use PoolMath to tell you how much to add for a desired effect)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually it would be more effort to go buy more than to use the system. I am just not sure if it is ok for it to kick on and off as it goes above and below 50 degrees. I was told that 50 is when it stops working. I just didn't know if I could leave it on when the temp is too low or if it would mess something up. If I could leave it on and have it operate during the day when temps rise above 50 that would be great, but is a few hours at 100% going to be enough? I would think so.
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, at best it can produce 1.25 lbs of chlorine per day, that is 12ppm in your pool.
    So, running on 100% will add 0.5ppm FC per hour at best performance (not likely at these low temps)

Adding one 121oz bottle of 8.25% chlorine will add 6.4ppm FC in a few minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Jason. That is the best info I have found yet. It's cold enough that algae hasn't grown yet, but it will soon as it starts warming up more. If I can get a little bit in each day I should be able to stay ahead of it. I tossed a couple pucks in the floaters just in case. I should know all about this SWG set up by now, but it's been nothing but problematic getting it operating correctly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Owner/Builder View Post
    Thanks, Jason. That is the best info I have found yet. It's cold enough that algae hasn't grown yet, but it will soon as it starts warming up more. If I can get a little bit in each day I should be able to stay ahead of it. I tossed a couple pucks in the floaters just in case. I should know all about this SWG set up by now, but it's been nothing but problematic getting it operating correctly.
    if you want to boost, you don't turn the chlorinator up, that will just burn up your cell quickly. Would you rather spend 5 bucks to boost your chlorine or 50 when you burn a 1/4 of your cell up?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Running 2 hours on 100% is the same wear as running 8 hours at 25% ... far from burning up a 1/4 of the cells life.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Running 2 hours on 100% is the same wear as running 8 hours at 25% ... far from burning up a 1/4 of the cells life.
    Still doesn't make sense when 5 bucks in chlorine do the job better.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Why spend $5 for chlorine when I have a chlorine generator? The system actually has a boost function which runs it at 100% for 24hrs. It is a normally used function so I don't see how running it at 100% for a few hours each day is going to burn the cell up. I just wanted to make sure that it turning on and off because of low temps wouldn't hurt anything. In just a couple weeks the water temps will be constantly above 50 even at night so I will have no need to keep chlorine on hand like i normally do during the winter.

10. Back To Top    #10

What you are proposing should be fine ... if it generates enough FC (which is a big if).
    SWGs are slow to add FC, thus our recommendation to always use bleach if you need a quick boost ... even in the summer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator