Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Can I sit my 18' Intex Metal frame pool on a wood platform?

Question Can I sit my 18' Intex Metal frame pool on a wood platform?

I tried searching for the answer before posting but didn't find anything...so I apologize if this has been asked before. I also looked on the internet and couldn't find anything.

This is our first pool and don't know if we will be committed to the long term of having a more permanent one. We will be taking down the pool for the fall/winter. Since we are taking it down, I would like for the platform to be used as a place to also hang out when not in the pool without having to actually build a deck around the pool. I would also like to use the platform as a "patio" for our fire pit for the fall.

Is this possible? The platform would just barely be off the ground. It would almost be pallet like (but more stable).

Thanks for your help!

Re: Can I sit my 18' Intex Metal frame pool on a wood platform?

Your pool weighs about 50,000 lbs so a deck that would hold it up would have to be very substantial. That's about 300lbs/sqft. You could probably pour a concrete deck for less than you could build a wooden deck that substantial.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, and wood would rot/decay anyhow.

Welcome to TFP.

+ 1 to both posts above ! This something you have to do right. Wood is not the way to go.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Can I use sand under the pool and landscape around it, then when I take the pool down sit the fire pit in the middle of the sand and chairs/benches around?

Is this possible?

I'm trying to think of a way to make it look nice in the off season and not weird without the pool sitting there.

What about some composite decking with a lot of footings?
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

The composite decking is pretty pricey. As for lots of footings, I would suggest that it would have to engineered for what you want to, as in how many footings and their placement.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

I like the sand option much better. Fire pit in the winter, cleanup, and replenish with new sand in the spring. Put the pool back, and it's summer again!

That's the way to go with it. Simple easy.
    Jeff

Maybe even build a frame around the sand to hold it in place ... or, build a wood frame and fill it with stabilized decomposed granite that you get wet and it will harden. Or a combination of both with a thin layer of sand over the granite.

For the pool you want to ensure that it is very level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Sure ,and use pavers if they want a patio. That would look pretty good I think.
    Jeff

If you have kids under 12 yoa or so, i bet you'd find you love having a big concrete pad when the pool is down. Our neighborhood kids come in droves to our yard and play either on the playset or the concrete. Seldom do they do stuff in the grass. The younger the kid the better - trikes, EZ Rollers (look them up), scooters, four square, remote control cars, Rip Racers (great fun once tall enough, about 5 or 6 yoa).
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

@jblizzle and @pwrstrk: Could I use bendable landscape edging to separate landscaping and sand? Like this: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

@crek31: A concrete foundation may be possible next summer. We just built and moved in to our new home this past May, so we are working on building our savings back up.

Also - my husband is a little anti-pool right now. But I was pretty much given this pool and a SWG so I'm trying to make it a simple yet nice summer project (and show him I'll take care of pool maintenance) and maybe he will fall in love with the idea and I can work on him for an upgrade!

That might work ... you just want something to help prevent the sand from washing away.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner

Just another thought..... Instead of sand you could use screenings. Screenings is a by product of crushing rock. Your friendly neighborhood quarry will have it and it will most likely be cheaper than sand. Another reason for screenings is it will compact very well and less chance of washing away. Sand has a tendency not to compact well.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Just another thought..... Instead of sand you could use screenings. Screenings is a by product of crushing rock. Your friendly neighborhood quarry will have it and it will most likely be cheaper than sand. Another reason for screenings is it will compact very well and less chance of washing away. Sand has a tendency not to compact well.
    Thanks so much. I think I like that idea much better!

I think screenings are the same as the decomposed granite I mentioned ... they can also add a stabilizer so it hardens more. They use it for walkways around here.
    Jason, TFP Moderator