Should I use the Skimmer equalizer disk Yes or No?

Jan 22, 2014
Corona, CA
In ground pool with Pentair skimmer box, side port plumbed for suction side pool cleaner. The skimmer is plumbed with rear port being pump suction and front being pipe to main drain. Before pump intake I have a Jandy valve to balance/select amount of suction from pool cleaner and skimmer/main drain.

AnywayI had an equalizer years ago in the skimmer the type that has the sliding gate valve to open close the main drain water access.

Anyway I have lost the equalizer.... Should I replace this.... pool store owner says I should not hare or use one? Without the equalizer I would estimate that I am not drawing any water from main drain. Is this right? Is this good, bad, or does not matter??

Doug

The main purpose of the "float valve" is to insure that the pump will still get water in the event that the pool water level drops to a point where the skimmer can no longer get water through the throat. The moment the float valve is inserted there is a portion of the water that will be drawn from the main drain (front port). Sliding the diverter over the hole will draw 100 percent through the main drain. I would advise not discarding this component as it is a device that protects the pump, and it's seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.