Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I use the Skimmer equalizer disk Yes or No?

1. Back To Top    #1

Corona, CA

Should I use the Skimmer equalizer disk Yes or No?

In ground pool with Pentair skimmer box, side port plumbed for suction side pool cleaner. The skimmer is plumbed with rear port being pump suction and front being pipe to main drain. Before pump intake I have a Jandy valve to balance/select amount of suction from pool cleaner and skimmer/main drain.

AnywayI had an equalizer years ago in the skimmer the type that has the sliding gate valve to open close the main drain water access.

Anyway I have lost the equalizer.... Should I replace this.... pool store owner says I should not hare or use one? Without the equalizer I would estimate that I am not drawing any water from main drain. Is this right? Is this good, bad, or does not matter??

21'x35' + Spa Plaster in-ground built 2001 Jandy RS4, MiniMax 400, Puerex 4000 DE, Hayward Ecostar VSP, The Poolcleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Should I use the Skimmer equalizer disk Yes or No?

You are correct, without it you are not getting flow from the floor. In reality, that does not really matter ... many pools do not even have a floor drain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

Re: Should I use the Skimmer equalizer disk Yes or No?

The main purpose of the "float valve" is to insure that the pump will still get water in the event that the pool water level drops to a point where the skimmer can no longer get water through the throat. The moment the float valve is inserted there is a portion of the water that will be drawn from the main drain (front port). Sliding the diverter over the hole will draw 100 percent through the main drain. I would advise not discarding this component as it is a device that protects the pump, and it's seal.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.