Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you change on this pool design? AKA Let's build a pool together!

1. Back To Top    #1

What would you change on this pool design? AKA Let's build a pool together!

Hey all -

I've gone ahead and sketched out what I will simply call v1.0.

We've got:

Large baja shelf with 3 color bubblers
    4 color laminars in the deck
    8' diameter spa raised 18" with spillway, 2 levels of seating
    2 fire bowls

We found a really great paver company with an amazing rate, so we're going to do poured in place coping then pavers for the decking.

As for equipment, here's what we're thinking:
    - Pentair IC40 SWG
    - Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Flow Pump (011012)
    - 2x Pentair 601012 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Pool Light
    - 1x Pentair 640122 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Spa Light
    - 4x Pentair 580001B MagicStream LED Laminar
    - Pentair T40FG Autofill Automatic Water Filler with Fluidmaster Valve
    - StaRite S8D110 DE Filter
    - Pentair 460736 MasterTemp 400,000 BTU, Natural Gas, Pool and Spa Heater

Few questions:
    1) I don't think this pump is enough to run the filtration + spa jets + bubblers + laminars at the same time, is it? What additional pump(s) would you suggest?
    2) Is the Pentair 011012 VF much better than the 011018 VS? Given we want as much automation as possible, does the remote control system make up for the difference in features between these two pumps?
    3) Is 8 jets enough in the 8' dia. spa? Can we bump it up to 12 and get 4 in the lower-seat area (where the jet would hit the back of your legs)?
    4) The Pentair 600054 IntelliBrite Controller is required, right?
    5) Should we go with 3" plumbing, or 2.5"?
    6) What's the best remote control system (with iphone support would be great) that is compatible with our equipment choices?
    7) What equipment did we miss?

And..
    8) What would you change with the layout..shape.. design?
    9) What suggestions do you have?

The "Garage" you see in the diagram is actually a 32'x30' barn. Eventually, we'll finish the interior and make it a really awesome pool house.

Larger pool design diagram: http://i.imgur.com/8O80PdX.png

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What would you change on this pool design? AKA Let's build a pool together!

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the build. I like the layout/design.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

That pump will not be able to run everything at once. A far better idea is to have a completely separate loop for the spa jets with a big pump and no filtration. Pump size will depend on how many jets you decide you want, and how much flow they require (if you choose a specific jet type, they will have a recommended flow rate). Big pipes on the spa loop are a must (3" suction, 2.5 return would be good).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Would you use a VS pump for the spa loop? Is the HP required strictly a function of # of jets * flow rate?

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure on the jets, but I think CA has restrictions requiring VS pumps now.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

CA generally requires at least a two speed, but there are some exceptions for multi-pump systems as long as the primary circulation pump is at least a two speed and for systems with a single very small pump.

HP required is a function of quite a number of things: # of jets, design flow rate of jets, pipe diameters, pipe lengths, number of fittings, etc. Also, different people like different effects from their jets, some want more flow while others want less flow. That makes using a VS nice, since you can dial it in to exactly what you want. However, it is possible to calculate all of that in advance and get reasonably close to a speed most people will be happy with using a single speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Seems like for the incremental cost increase, a VS pump on the spa loop makes good sense. Thanks for the detailed replies.

By chance do you guys have insight to share around the other questions posed in the initial post?

8. Back To Top    #8

Personally I would put the spa on the other side of the pool, it is my experience that no one likes walking around to the far side of the pool for anything they don't have to. It is hard to say much beyond that without knowing your family dynamics, intended use of the pool, etc. One thing that you don't mention is intended depth profile, which again is greatly effected by use. Pool depth profiles are always a compromise, a social pool will tend to be shallower than sports pool, which will be shallower than a pool that supports diving, etc. I know with my pool (a traditional 30+ year old hopper end 20x40) I wish the shallow end were just 6 inches deeper as I tend to hit my knuckles on the bottom when swimming laps. (I have fairly long arms).

One question for you, which way is north?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

"left" is north. During the summer, the pool has an unobstructed line of sight to the sun from morning to evening. In the winter, the oak trees on the right will block direct sunlight for a portion of the day.

We're thinking the shelf will have ~6" of water (is this good/bad? what's normal?)

It's basically my wife and I, with our first child due this summer. We don't swim laps. We're leaning toward 3.5' - 6' - 4' as the depth profile.

10. Back To Top    #10

For that amount of flow I would look into the IntellifloXF. No a light controller is not required for the 5g color LED lights a simple switch will work. To get the desired color you flip the switch on and off. Look up the install manual and it will give a greater description. My ledge is 10" and for me is perfect
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

11. Back To Top    #11

Bathroom? I realize it's a bit off topic, but place to change for guest and access to the bathroom. Just a consideration.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB View Post
    For that amount of flow I would look into the IntellifloXF. No a light controller is not required for the 5g color LED lights a simple switch will work. To get the desired color you flip the switch on and off. Look up the install manual and it will give a greater description. My ledge is 10" and for me is perfect
    Thanks, will look into the IntellifloXF

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Bathroom? I realize it's a bit off topic, but place to change for guest and access to the bathroom. Just a consideration.
    The main house is easily accessible to the pool goers.

Eventually, we'll finish the interior of the barn/garage and it will be a nice relaxing space as well.

13. Back To Top    #13

Revised the shape. Expecting the structural engineering stamped copies plans back tomorrow.

Got a good deal on 2 Pentair 5G LED Color Pool Lights and 1 matching Spa Light. They arrive next week.

The dream is finally starting to turn into reality!

14. Back To Top    #14

This is my own personal peeve here...which way does the prevailing wind blow?

You need to have a skimmer at the absolute extreme downwind end or the leaves will blow right on past it, get waterlogged, and sink so you can vacuum them up. Also, those firepits need to be downwind of the pool. If they have wood or charcoal in them, you'll end up with ash on the pool surface otherwise.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Personally i would eliminate the auto fill it will mask potential problems you may have in the future......just my 2 cents
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

16. Back To Top    #16

We bypassed autofill for this reason. ^^ If you have a leak, it might take a month (when you get your insanely large water bill) to notice it.
    Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by mkmkmkmk View Post
    6) What's the best remote control system (with iphone support would be great) that is compatible with our equipment choices?
    We spec'd out Jandy equipment so we could use the iAqualink for control. It's got the web and phone apps and is slick.
    If you swapped out the Intelliflo for a Flopro you'd be good using the iAqualink. The Jandy will control the Pentair lights (it will select the color for you automatically). We also went with the Pentair SWG and just run it manually.

I agree on skipping the autofill - it's one more thing to break and dragging out a hose on occasion is not a big deal. And, as pointed out... you may not know if something leaks.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

18. Back To Top    #18

We have both an auto fill and auto drain and if managed properly, it really shouldn't be an issue. During our dry season (summer), I just plug the auto drain line with a wine cork so I know if the auto fill is broken because the pool basically overflows. During our rainy season, I don't need the auto fill so I just turn it off and uncork the auto drain although this year, we haven't had much rain so I haven't done that yet.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

19. Back To Top    #19

I agree ... love the auto-fill in the dry climate here. You can always just turn a knob to turn it off and see if you have a leak. Much easier to install now than later ... I had to pay a good bit to add it to this used pool after the fact.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Removed my auto fill during the recent remodel.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast