Filter and pump upgrade for Intex 26x52

jorge

Jan 27, 2014
Hello,
I'm getting ready for the summer already and trying to up grade the filter and pump for my Intex pool 26x52. Last year I had several problems with the cartridge filter and the small pump that came with the pool so I've been doing some research on sand filters and pumps. According to several sites I need a 1.5 hp pump and filter (the bigger the better). I emailed two different pool stores to see which filter/pump they would recommend and both responded with the Game SandPro 75 pool filter system. I looked at this system and it said it is compatible with intex pools and it is for pools up to 20000 gallons, but it only has a 3/4hp pump.
My questions are:
Will this be a good filter system for the size of my pool?
Is the pump powerful enough to support a vacuum?
Which other filter systems do you recommend?

1.5HP is much larger than you need, your pool is around 15,000 gallons depending on how full you fill it, My pool is over twice the size of yours and I currently have a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump which spends the majority of its time running on low speed, and that is probably overkill for me. You would probably be best off with either a 3/4 HP or 1 HP pump (not all pumps are created equal, and there are plenty of cheaper "3/4HP that are really closer to 1/2) , if your pad is wired for 240V then a 2 speed pump is an option you may want to consider to economize electricity. (there are no 120V 2 speed pumps that I am aware of). I don't know much about the Game SandPro 75, but from a quick online search it seems to be a cheaply built 75 pound sand filter paired with a 3/4 HP motor. This filter could work for your pool, but don't expect good results (think of it like trying to vacuum your house with one of those dust buster on a broom stick style vacuum cleaners), it might be ok for the smaller intex pools, but remember yours is one of the largest models they offer. Our general advice when it comes to sand filters is bigger is better at least within reason, for a pool the size of yours I would consider a 150 pound sand filter (18 inch plus) bare minimum, and a 200-300 pound sand filter to be a good choice. The larger the filter the longer you can go between backwash cleaning.

When it comes to sand filters, there is not much innovation left, your choices are mostly between the major brands and the fly by night imports, you can save money up front going with one of those cheaper imports, but be aware if you ever need repair parts that they may be impossible to get. Also make sure to fill it with the correct type of pool filter sand.

If it were me and I was looking to stay on a budget I would look at a Hayward S180T sand filter mated with one of their above ground pool pumps, with a 3/4 or 1 HP pump or similar. I have found that good deals can often be found on pumps and filters (including combo deals) this time of year in the off season, mostly on ebay. Others may tell you to get something even bigger, which would be better, but also more expensive.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.