Tapatalk ... not as good?

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I have quickly found that the interface of vBulletin is not nearly as nice as it was in the old software. There are no options within Tapatalk to change anything and I am not sure if there are changes that could be made on the forum end to improve things (and not sure it is a high priority).

The most annoying thing:
I can see a list of Unread posts, and view them and they then change from bold to non-bold. But, when I refresh the Unread tab, all of them reappear as Bold again. Also, when I go to my computer, all the posts I have already read, still show as unread on the PC. It is almost like there is a lack of communication between the forum and Tapatalk. Interestingly, the previous older software worked flawlessly as expected.

Just curious if anyone else has similar observations or notice other issues.

I don't use tapatalk (don't know what it is other than a bunch of you have referenced it for years on here). But . . . on regular web/lap top, I don't see the Unread Posts tab. Similarly I don't see Your Posts. I think there was also an Unanswered Posts listing that I also have not found. I must be missing a place to look --- still poking around to learn the new site. Thanks as always to JasonLion and all of you management folks for all you do!

The mobile version of this site looks pretty good on my phone and it's an older Droid. I used to use the full page version of the old site though. The only crummy thing is trying to edit while typing. Otherwise it's pretty good I think.

There are some differences in the way the old and new forums mark topics read. The old forum seemed to keep track of the most recent read date for every single topic, while the new forum tracks individual topics only within a visit and applies sub-forum visit dates to all topics in the sub-forum at the start of a new visit. Or something like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW ... I was part of the Beta testers for the latest Tapatalk release (they are not very good at their app development and often ignored issued that were raised ... not to mention charging early adapters and then suddenly making it a free upgrade). Anyway, there were some things that I loved about the new release, but after the free upgrade I read about a lot of issues still, so did not want to lose my working copy of the old version. So, I have not updated it and am still using the old version of Tapatalk.

For awhile they had 3 different versions V2 for phone, HD for tablets, and then beta V4 ... with the latest release they tried to combine all of them into one and some things do not seem to translate very well between the platforms. I think they released V4 as a paid upgrade (even though it should have stayed beta), then after a bunch of people paid $3, they put it on sale for $1 (making early adopters mad), then after a month or so they decided to offer V4 as a free upgrade from a paid V2 (making even more people mad). Their business plan is interesting.

Here's something strange with Tapatalk. When I post a link from Tapatalk and then view the link from Tapatalk, the link takes me to some random thread on the forum. When I view the link on the forum I posted from Tapatalk it's correct. Maybe somebody could try my link I posted in test track using Tapatalk and see what they get. The link is the CYA FC chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.