Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tapatalk ... not as good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tapatalk ... not as good?

I have quickly found that the interface of vBulletin is not nearly as nice as it was in the old software. There are no options within Tapatalk to change anything and I am not sure if there are changes that could be made on the forum end to improve things (and not sure it is a high priority).

The most annoying thing:
    I can see a list of Unread posts, and view them and they then change from bold to non-bold. But, when I refresh the Unread tab, all of them reappear as Bold again. Also, when I go to my computer, all the posts I have already read, still show as unread on the PC. It is almost like there is a lack of communication between the forum and Tapatalk. Interestingly, the previous older software worked flawlessly as expected.

Just curious if anyone else has similar observations or notice other issues.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tapatalk ... not as good?

I don't use tapatalk (don't know what it is other than a bunch of you have referenced it for years on here). But . . . on regular web/lap top, I don't see the Unread Posts tab. Similarly I don't see Your Posts. I think there was also an Unanswered Posts listing that I also have not found. I must be missing a place to look --- still poking around to learn the new site. Thanks as always to JasonLion and all of you management folks for all you do!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

The mobile version of this site looks pretty good on my phone and it's an older Droid. I used to use the full page version of the old site though. The only crummy thing is trying to edit while typing. Otherwise it's pretty good I think.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

I saw the mobile version before tapatalk was back up. Something about it annoyed me, but can but remember what might have to try it again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I saw the mobile version before tapatalk was back up. Something about it annoyed me, but can but remember what might have to try it again.
    I think it was the attachments not showing up?

6. Back To Top    #6

Every version of every mobile site annoys me.

I'd rather slide the whole site around on my screen than deal with the sometimes VERY limited flexibility of mobile versions.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Ah right, it was not showing any pictures. I may have to play with it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Interestingly, Tapatalk was better behaved this morning ... at least the stuff I read on my phone was marked as such when I got to my computer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I haven't noticed a difference in Tapatalk. I'm using tapatalkHD. It's working fine for me. Then I haven't really explored all that much.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

There are some differences in the way the old and new forums mark topics read. The old forum seemed to keep track of the most recent read date for every single topic, while the new forum tracks individual topics only within a visit and applies sub-forum visit dates to all topics in the sub-forum at the start of a new visit. Or something like that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I just downloaded Tapatalk on my i phone. When I try to access a thread I get an error message that says Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
    Petaluma, CA., 11K gallon IG pool, white plaster, Nautilus FNS 36 sq. ft. DE Filter, Jandy 1.5 HP variable speed E pump, Pentair Booster Pump with Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pool cleaner, Jandy Laars LX Pool Heater, Remodeled (new plumbing, plaster, tile, coping, variable speed pump) January 2013. 400 gallon Artesian Island Spa (Ozonator/Chlorine), TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir.

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you get that for all threads? OR just one?
    I have never seen that. Could be a rare exception if the topic got moved after the latest Tapatalk refresh.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I get that for all threads when I try to access them from the Home page in Tapatalk. I did notice that if I go to the Forums link in
    Tapatalk I am able to access the threads.
    Petaluma, CA., 11K gallon IG pool, white plaster, Nautilus FNS 36 sq. ft. DE Filter, Jandy 1.5 HP variable speed E pump, Pentair Booster Pump with Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pool cleaner, Jandy Laars LX Pool Heater, Remodeled (new plumbing, plaster, tile, coping, variable speed pump) January 2013. 400 gallon Artesian Island Spa (Ozonator/Chlorine), TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir.

14. Back To Top    #14

BTW ... I was part of the Beta testers for the latest Tapatalk release (they are not very good at their app development and often ignored issued that were raised ... not to mention charging early adapters and then suddenly making it a free upgrade). Anyway, there were some things that I loved about the new release, but after the free upgrade I read about a lot of issues still, so did not want to lose my working copy of the old version. So, I have not updated it and am still using the old version of Tapatalk.

For awhile they had 3 different versions V2 for phone, HD for tablets, and then beta V4 ... with the latest release they tried to combine all of them into one and some things do not seem to translate very well between the platforms. I think they released V4 as a paid upgrade (even though it should have stayed beta), then after a bunch of people paid $3, they put it on sale for $1 (making early adopters mad), then after a month or so they decided to offer V4 as a free upgrade from a paid V2 (making even more people mad). Their business plan is interesting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Here's something strange with Tapatalk. When I post a link from Tapatalk and then view the link from Tapatalk, the link takes me to some random thread on the forum. When I view the link on the forum I posted from Tapatalk it's correct. Maybe somebody could try my link I posted in test track using Tapatalk and see what they get. The link is the CYA FC chart.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have noticed links sometimes go to random threads as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

This only has happened to me since the switch over.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

Same here
    Jason, TFP Moderator