Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mixing up imperial and metric size plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Mixing up imperial and metric size plumbing

Here in the Philippines PVC pipes and fittings have metric sizes. Most commonly used is 50mm (1.1/2 inch) and 63mm (2 inch). Metric sizes are measured as the outer diameter.

I want to buy/install a couple of 3-way valves from Jandy, but these have imperial sizes. E.g. the 4715 (a 1.1/2 inch valve) pipe holes are 1.7/8 inch, which is 47.625mm. Imperial pipe sizes are measured as the inner diameter of the pipe.

So you see the problem, these valves do not fit with my pipes, so I need a kind of reducers. I searched a long time on the Internet, but can't find them.

The solution, I guess, is to use one half of a 1.1/2 inch metric Union and combine it with one half of an imperial 1.1/2 inch Union.

Is this a feasible solution? Any other suggestions?
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball

Pool: IG 21.000 G concrete/plaster/ceramic tiles, Design: Peanut shape; 2 floor drains; 2 skimmers; 2 water return inlets; 2 vacuum connections; Auto water replenishing, Filter: Mega V650 sand/glass 26" - 70 GPM, Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VF-3050 max 174 GPM, Owner Built: Dec 2011, Water treatment: EcoSmarte /w controller including CO2 valve/canister, Location: Philippines, tropical climate, 30+C or 86+F

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Mixing up imperial and metric size plumbing

The question there would be do the threads line up?

Another idea would be to get a short section of 1.5 inch PVC pipe from the U.S. and try to put it into a metric union fitting using some sort of gap spanning cement, afterall you are only talking about 2mm and relatively low water pressures (20-40 psi typically), or alternatively get a U.S. 1.5 inch union or adapter and bore it out to 50mm -51 mm (I assume 50mm drill bits are somewhat commonly available)

p.s. in the US they also make special bore out bits to reuse valves, etc. that have been cemented, I have never seen one, but have read about them online, a similar metric bore out could work on the valve there, again it is only about 2 mm
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~