How do I drain the pool with an AquaLink RS? URGENT

Jan 27, 2014
I just moved into a house that is in short sale(in the crazy bad las Vegas market) that was seriously neglected for who knows how long. I desperately need to drain the INSANELY DISGUSTING swamp that used to be a pool before it gets warm enough for mosquitoes to go nuts in a few days!!

Our controller is an AquaLink RS with a One Touch pad inside. Don't know if this matters; but there are 3 STA-RITE pumps(pool, spa, fountain) and 2 STA-RITE Filters.

Is there a way to drain the pool with the controller? Please see the gross pics - the backyard looks like Chernobyl! Is that the drain nozzle hanging off the left side of the filter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and will surely save our street from impending West Lake Mead Disease!

FOLLOW UP: I want to thanks everyone for your replies. I should mention though that we have no desire to restore or maintain the pool because we don't know how long we'll be here... and we don't own the place.

IMAG0782.jpgIMAG0784.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The draining of the pool is dependent on how your pool is plumbed, you have to be able to isolate the floor drain (and not have it get clogged) and you have to have a waste pipe. You have a cartridge filter, so you do not have a true waste pipe ... and it is unclear if you can isolate the floor. If you want to drain, the easiest method is to buy/rent a submersible trash pump (and ensure that the groundwater in your area is well below the pool so it can not float out of the ground).

BUT ...
you do not need to drain it to clear up the pool ... we have see it MANY MANY times. You just need to follow the SLAM process using a proper test kit. Read these:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/126-defeating-algae
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3913-Turning-Your-Green-Swamp-Back-into-a-Sparkling-Oasis
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

And ask questions as they come up.

Your pump is plumbed like mine, so when I drain water I connect a hose to the hose bib on the pump output (filter inlet), start the filter pump, and open the hose bib. If I were to drain a lot (like below the skimmer) I have a manual valve that is usually set 50/50 skimmer and floor, I need to turn that (there is a little toggle switch underneath) manually to be 100% on the floor drain when the water is below the skimmer (my valve is electric controlled but no automated, yours could be pure manual)

But I would listen to the folks here and see how far you can get without draining water first off. Even if you emptied the pool you would need to fill it soon (do you have groundwater issues... around here an empty pool can "pop" from water pressure if you don't take precautions)... and as soon as there is water again you'll need to get after it to stop the algae from coming back... so...

- - - Updated - - -

looking at your picture again... it looks like you have two suction side valves on the filter pump, one automated, one manual... one of these might allow you to shut off the skimmer - you'll need to play with it to see.

Here it costs probably 120 for me to drain and refill my pool, but I can drain to the pond out back, piping is in the ground to go right out. Chlorine depending on prices where you are probably cost half that amount, but my pool was never as bad as yours. YOu would probably be best draining a bit down and then hitting with the chlorine to clear it up, but it looks like there will be a lot of vacuuming involved.

The first step either way is to scoop out as much of the stuff as you can. The more you get out, the easier it is is SLAM. And if you do not scoop most out you are either going to clog the floor drain or the submersible pump and not get anything flowing.

I have done some gross DYI jobs (septic tanks, backed up toilets, etc...) but man the shear volume is mind blowing. jblizzle is right something lived there - I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pool.

I would buy a sump pump (40-50$ on amazon.com), (you do not want to flow that through your plumbing), put in a bucket with holes in the bottom and drop it and start draining. And while it is doing that get one of those hose sweeper nozzle and start hosing the stuff to a pile at the deep end and have someone go shovel it out after most of the water is out (remember to make sure you have research water table so the pool doesn't pop out) (oh, don't forget, critters live in that stuff, so wear protective gear, too). Put all that stuff a dedicated pile for fertilizer next year - don't kill all of that plant food (recycle). Then start refilling, test with the new test kit you buy, and then SLAM, SLAM hard.

Take that nozzle hose to the pump, filter and stuff too. May have to install a scarecrow?

You better post after pictures, too - always a sucker for the good save. It will come back and you will be swimming in it before you know it. Good luck!

(FYI: normal fee for pool peeps to do - 100-250$ in Houston, TX - to do that - priceless!)

LOL. I know right. I had no idea there were so many freaking sky rats in Vegas! They are everywhere, and yes it's disgusting! That's just from them sitting on the edge of the roof... as I said, zero maintenance for who knows how long. This place has quite the history... as does 1 in every 5 houses here.

Reactions: EllieWilliams
I was curious too.

Would love seeing this one converted, but I know that isn't something you wanted to do. I'll add that whoever owns it may not
want to leave it drained as that can ruin the plaster.

But then again....in this pool, maybe they don't care. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.