Zodiac/Barracuda MX8 flow question

zhenya

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have a Barracuda MX8 vacuum that I've been fighting with. It's just hasn't been consistent. In my trial and error testing I found that my pump needs to be running at 2900RPM to make this thing run. There is a test of how long it takes for wheels to turn 10 times. Does this sound right? I bought this vacuum because it claims to be running at a very low suction. For this test I had 100% going to the vacuum line with skimmer completely shut off.

thanks.

That certainly does sound like it should be a LOT more suction than it should need. I am wondering if there is something askew inside the cleaner that is preventing it from operating correctly?

I think the Pool Cleaner is the suction cleaner that needs the least amount of suction ... not that this info helps you now ;)

Not to ask a silly question ... but ... you did add DE back in after the backwash right? Ideally around 80% of the typical full amount unless you fully break down the filter.

We have the same cleaner and at 2750 and the majority of the suction going to the cleaner it barely moves. We had a big dust storm last week and our pool became a mud pit. I changed the rpm to 2900 and had all the suction to the cleaner and it moves really well. Cleaned up the bottom of the pool in about three nights running it 9 hours per night.

the MX8 is a slow moving cleaner and only requires approx 100 lpm ( about 26 gpm i think for you guys) to operate. we have what is called a pool pulse down under which you place in the end of the last hose and while the pump is operating you should adjust the flow to obtain a reading between 2.5 - 3. i am pretty sure that Zodiac offer it over there but not sure what the name is, i think "flow gauge".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.