Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zodiac/Barracuda MX8 flow question

1. Back To Top    #1

Zodiac/Barracuda MX8 flow question

I have a Barracuda MX8 vacuum that I've been fighting with. It's just hasn't been consistent. In my trial and error testing I found that my pump needs to be running at 2900RPM to make this thing run. There is a test of how long it takes for wheels to turn 10 times. Does this sound right? I bought this vacuum because it claims to be running at a very low suction. For this test I had 100% going to the vacuum line with skimmer completely shut off.

thanks.
    27K gal, IG pebble, Jandy JEP2.0 VS ePump, Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy SW with ChemLink C1900, Zodiak MX8 vacuum
    The pool was repiped and new equipment installed Nov 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Zodiac/Barracuda MX8 flow question

That certainly does sound like it should be a LOT more suction than it should need. I am wondering if there is something askew inside the cleaner that is preventing it from operating correctly?

I think the Pool Cleaner is the suction cleaner that needs the least amount of suction ... not that this info helps you now
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I inspected the vacuum pretty closely and I don't see anything inside. The thing will not move at all at below 2250 rpm and it doesn't get up to the proper speed until 2900.
    27K gal, IG pebble, Jandy JEP2.0 VS ePump, Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy SW with ChemLink C1900, Zodiak MX8 vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

What size pipes do you have? What is your filter pressure at 2900 rpm?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I will get back to you on pipe size questions later. I am pretty sure they are 2". As for filter pressure - it's at around 20. I just did a backwash two days ago.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not to ask a silly question ... but ... you did add DE back in after the backwash right? Ideally around 80% of the typical full amount unless you fully break down the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, the DE is back in line
    Pipes are 2" as I thought. Any other thoughts?

8. Back To Top    #8

I would still have to guess that something is not in good shape internally in the cleaner ... but I have no experience with it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

We have the same cleaner and at 2750 and the majority of the suction going to the cleaner it barely moves. We had a big dust storm last week and our pool became a mud pit. I changed the rpm to 2900 and had all the suction to the cleaner and it moves really well. Cleaned up the bottom of the pool in about three nights running it 9 hours per night.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

the MX8 is a slow moving cleaner and only requires approx 100 lpm ( about 26 gpm i think for you guys) to operate. we have what is called a pool pulse down under which you place in the end of the last hose and while the pump is operating you should adjust the flow to obtain a reading between 2.5 - 3. i am pretty sure that Zodiac offer it over there but not sure what the name is, i think "flow gauge".

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok how do you get this thing to run at 2.5 on the flow gauge?
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

do you have the flow valve in the skimmer box you can adjust? otherwise you can obtain the new flow regulator which clips onto the cleaner before the hose, check out the zodiac pool systems web site for pictures.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.