Is there a "My Posts" link like the old forum?

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
Is there a "My Posts" link like the old forum so there is a one-click way to check and see if someone has answered your question or contributed to one of your topics.

The changes look great and are pleasing on the eye.

G

Re: Is there a "My Posts" links like the old forum?

In the upper right hand corner there is a "Notifications" tab.......does it now show a 1??

Re: Is there a "My Posts" links like the old forum?

In the upper right hand corner there is a "Notifications" tab.......does it now show a 1??

No.

I was in the topic doing a minor edit at the same time you posted so if it automatically deletes that notification by the refresh I did, it might have been there, but I may have essentially cancelled it.

I'm guessing (without looking), that there may be a setting for the system to send a notification when someone comments on a topic you originated. Would that also work for topics you do not originate, but have contributed comments?

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't appear that any of the previously subscribed threads have been pulled over to the new forum software so you'll only see threads that you subscribe to from now on out.

OK. Thanks.

This is something that I am trying to figure out how to get used to. I liked "My Posts" so I could see the threads I was helping.
Over here I turned off Subscriptions as I do not want to track them all, but that would be one method to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Posts is sort of there. Go to your nam after the Welcome. Click on that and then under your name on the left there is a "find latest posts." Gets you to your most recent posts, but not as easy to tell if someone has responded since your last response. I used My Posts (or maybe it was Your Posts) a lot and so far that is the thing I miss most on the new format. I'm sure it is just a matter of learning a new way to do things.

hmmm, I take that back. Does not see like "Find latest posts" is reliable. Shows some but not all postings tonight. I guess I have more learning to do with this new site.

I think the "My Activity" listing comes closest to the former functionality but it's formatted in a way that the poster's name is placed so prominently in front of each listing that the listing is very very difficult to scan to see which of your topics was commented on.

The old "My Posts" (or whatever it was titled), placed the Title of the topic first, making that information most prominent, since that's really the first piece of information your brain want's to see and it was easy to scan to see which of your topic had new comments.

The current "New Posts" listing is an example of how by listing the Topic prominently and making the name of the poster less prominent, it makes it easy to scan and select your topic of interest. Imagine if that screen placed the name of the person in the largest, boldest text, and the topics were made very small. I think it's usability would be far worse.

I realize the new forum format may be a work in progress and my comments are not meant to criticize but to provide positive hopefully valuable feedback. I can imagine the work to get it to this point was enormous.

"Quick Links" then "Subscribed Threads" is closest to the "My Posts" option on the old software. I use "Settings" which has the same thing plus PMs.

"Quick Links" then "Subscribed Threads" is closest to the "My Posts" option on the old software. I use "Settings" which has the same thing plus PMs.

Thanks for pointing out the different paths to "Subscriptions".

Looks like the presentation of Subscriptions is different depending on the way you get there.

If you get there by "My Profile>My Activitiy>Subscriptions", they're displayed with your name leading the posting title - which I find very difficult to read.

However if you get there by "Settings>Subscriptions(Left side of page)", they're displayed with the posting title leading - which I find much easier to scan.

Thanks for pointing out the different paths to "Subscriptions".

Looks like the presentation of Subscriptions is different depending on the way you get there.

If you get there by "My Profile>My Activitiy>Subscriptions", they're displayed with your name leading the posting title - which I find very difficult to read.

However if you get there by "Settings>Subscriptions(Left side of page)", they're displayed with the posting title leading - which I find much easier to scan.

What I do, and my needs are a little different because of moderator stuff, is to save a bookmark/favorite to several different places in the forum so I can go right where I want without going through menus. I have a link to "New Posts" so I can check to see if anything needs moderated, and I have a link to "Settings" to see what is going on in threads I have participated in.

Another thing is there are built in "hints" on posts you have replied to and have subscribed to. I use the "New Posts" button and just look at these. I can see if I've replied in the past, or if there's a new post.

1. If the envelope is blue there are unread posts, but you have not subscribed to this thread
  2. If the envelope is grey and closed, there are no unread posts
  3. If it's red and unopened the thread is a popular thread, with no new posts
  4. If it's red and opened the thread is a popular thread, with new posts
  5. If there is an arrow next to any envelope it means you have posted in the thread
  6. If there is a green check mark to the right of the threads title it means you have subscribed to this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.