Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time and Output percentage

1. Back To Top    #1

Nashville, TN - Music City USA

Pump run time and Output percentage

I have my Aqua Trol up and running and am curious what others are setting for pump run time and Chlorine generation output percentage since I haven't "dialed in" mine yet. I've gone too high and am now too low. I suppose I'll catch it sooner or later.

I'm in full sun with light swim load.

27' AG, 16,500g
    Alk 200
    ph 7.6
    Chl .5
    CYA 60
    CH 100
    Salt 3100

-ePoolUser Steve

27'x52" AG, 16,500 gal. Aqua Trol HP SWG,
    2hp pump, 150 sqft 100GPH Cartridge Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit, Zodiac Vac
    Installed July 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump run time and Output percentage

Hello Steve
    First with your output i would set it at 50% and then and then check FC for a couple of days and adjust from there, this of course will depend on your pump run time.

If you read this sticky in pool school it will probally help answer some your questions, i think most people run there pump for about 8 hours . Also your ta is too high.

So check that link also, in fact a good place to start is to check out all of pool school and then if you have more questions you can always ask. The chl level you posted i assume is fc if so it also to low, it should be at least 3 with your cya level.
    hope this helps
    Happy swims Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump run time and Output percentage

I agree your ta is to high. You need to figure out a good pump runtime and adjust your percentage from there. I run my pump for 5 hours from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. so I can get the most heat from my solar panels. This gives me 1.75 turnovers.

I had mine set at 50% because it is raining here almost everyday, so much that I had to drain water off the pool. Now my FCL is 5. So I have brought it down to 40%. I am aiming for a FCL of 3-5, no one has noticed a difference in the pool with the increased CL so I will keep the 3-5 range to help combat algae since I am in full sun also. The key is to just keep an eye on the FCL and CCL. I usually test CL and PH every other day and adjust if needed.

Do you use a solar cover? Once I started using one I was able to maintain my temperature and FCL much easier.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.