New here...algae, CYA, etc...

My test kit finally came today! :) I'm so excited and I was surprised at how easy it is to test. I was expecting it to be much more complicated than it is. Anyway, here are my numbers.

FC: 3.0
CYA: 50
PH: 7.2
TA: 70

I don't have a CC reading b/c when I added the reagent to test for that, it didn't turn pink. Is that a problem? Or did I do something wrong? Edited to add: I just reviewed all the basics and I think this reading is okay? From what I understand, the higher the CC the more likely you are fighting something, correct? Or am I still off base here?

My pool is still a tad cloudy. I can see the bottom, but very faintly. If we swim or vacuum, it gets much worse as things are mixed around. My filter is still coming out a bit green after that as well. So, I know I need to add some bleach (I know my target range is 6.0 based on my CYA level.) Should I do anything else? It's been raining here A LOT so I know things are off b/c of that too. In fact, it just rained maybe an hour ago, not sure if that would compromise the sample?

Thanks AGAIN for all your help.

Kristi

Your CC is zero. If it was above zero it would have turned pink. That is good!

With CYA at 50, you should keep FC at 4 minimum, and normally higher. Your current FC level is too low and risks letting the algae get started again.

When you clean your cartridge, you'll know your maintaining proper levels if your "gunk" on your cartridge is more brownish than greenish....

Edit~ well obviously there's more to than that.... :oops: end Edit...

Isn't it just disgusting stuff.....? :shock:

Here are my numbers from today:

FC:2.5
CC:0
PH:7.2
TA:80

I'm not testing my CYA everyday. Do I really need to?

Anyway, isn't that a big drop in chlorine in one day? I did have kids swimming in it all day yesterday, so is that why? My cartridge had some green on it this morning, but I just changed it again and it was virtually clean. Also, since the CC is still 0, I can feel pretty confident that it's not algae coming back right? I'm going to add bleach tonight to get it back to 6.0.

My pool is still cloudy. I really want to get it sparkling blue. What could be the problem? :?: The pump has not been turned off since I first posted on here.

Thanks again for your help. And yes, the algae is just disgusting stuff.

Kristi

KristiS said:
Here are my numbers from today:

FC:2.5
PH:7.2
TA:80

I'm not testing my CYA everyday. Do I really need to?

Anyway, isn't that a big drop in chlorine in one day? I did have kids swimming in it all day yesterday, so is that why? My cartridge had some green on it this morning, but I just changed it again and it was virtually clean. Also, since the CC is still 0, I can feel pretty confident that it's not algae coming back right? I'm going to add bleach tonight to get it back to 6.0.

My pool is still cloudy. I really want to get it sparkling blue. What could be the problem? :?: The pump has not been turned off since I first posted on here.

Thanks again for your help. And yes, the algae is just disgusting stuff.

Kristi

Your chlorine was 3 the other day and you added chlorine to raise it to (6?)...did you test 1 hour after adding the chlorine to see if you reached your target?

When you say big drop, are you saying it dropped from 6 to 3 in one day? Not necessarily a big drop. Every pool is different. Even with 50 ppm CYA Some people do report a 50% FC loss in full sun, when no cover is being used. And if your kids were swimming all day, is it safe to assume they may have "used up some chlorine" :wink: if you know what I mean.... :mrgreen:

I reread the posts, your CH is fine, so it's probably not that, and your running the filter so its probably not that. Are you noticing visible improvement daily? Or no improvement? Or improvement and now it's getting cloudier again?

Lastly, what kind of cartridge filter/ pump do you have? Do you know how big the filter is? A small filter could be part of the issue.

I forgot, no don't test the CYA that often. Only if you are trying to reach a target, or if you have frequent water replacement via filterbackwash or a leak....and the CYA level is constantly being adjusted. So usually at the start of the season or opening, then periodically if you have added freshwater to replace splash out, etc. Make sense?

I forgot about testing an hour later. :oops: I was so excited to just HAVE a test kit. Okay, I got it now. I poured a jug in; I'll check it in an hour and see if it got it up to 6. Thanks for all the information. I figured that about the CYA, but I just wanted to make sure. Some things are clicking, I swear.

I am seeing improvement everyday when the pool sits. But when I vacuum or we swim, it stirs it all up and seems to get bad again. It is not at all as bad as that first pic I posted; I can always see a bit of the bottom, but it's not completely clear. I'll need to take another pic. Maybe I'm just impatient.

Do you mean what brand of pump? And it's the bigger cartridges; like the size of a large dinner plate. It says "CFR Cartridge Filter" on it. I'm not sure of the brand; we bought this pool used from someone. The pump says Jacuzzi and GM Motors on it. Does that help at all?

Broken record, but thanks. :-D

Kristi

I'm feeling frustrated. :(

My numbers from Thursday an hour after adding bleach:

FC: 6
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 100

Didn't test yesterday.

My numbers now:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 90

Pool doesn't look any better. It's not green, but it's still pretty cloudy. The filter had some algae on it. I'm resisting the urge to drop money on some clarifier because I don't really know if that would help. But reading on here, it seems like most people see improvement much faster than I am seeing and I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm adding bleach now to kick it back up to 6.0. But what else? Any suggestions? I don't think there is anything wrong with my pump/filter. It's running fine and the return is strong, etc. What could be the problem?

Thank you.

Kristi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should expect some FC loss any time there is sunlight. If you test in the evening and again first thing in the morning then there shouldn't be any loss of FC. If you do lose FC overnight then you still have algae.

It can take the filter up to a week to clear the water after the algae is all dead. If the algae is all dead and the filter is working you should see a visible improvement in the water each day.

If you think you still have algae, you should bring the FC level up to 16 and keep it there by testing and adding more chlorine at least twice a day.

Well, I added bleach yesterday, tested in an hour and just retested this morning. My chlorine levels are stable. Today:

FC: 6
PH: 7.6
TA: 70

Filter was relatively clean except for a few bugs crawling on it. Yuck.

I do see visible improvement in the pool each day that it sits. But if we swim in it or vacuum, it murks it all up again. I think my numbers are telling me I just need to be patient. It is holding chlorine overnight. If I had algae still, I'd see a big loss, correct? I'm also wondering if part of my problem is that I don't run my pump on high constantly. I'll run it on high after I add bleach for about 12 hours, then cut it down to low. Should I leave it on high all the time? Is that what most people here do while they are trying get everything balanced?

Kristi

If you vacuum very slowly and carefully you should be able to pick up a lot of the fine dust on the bottom with out getting too much back into the water.

Other than that it is just a matter of giving the filter enough time to do it's job while backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.