New Hayward max-flo vs installed, will not prime

Had an old 1/2 hp pump that seized up this past week, so quickly ordered a new Hayward max-flo VS on Amazon. I've been wanted to get a variable speed pump, so was happy to upgrade. (electricity in Hawaii is very expensive). But, I haven't had a pump running for nearly a week.

So, installed the whole thing. Did the pvc piping on my own with purple primer and cement on each non-threaded joint. Turned it on, and cannot get it to prime, not one trickle. Now, it was getting dark just after a few priming attempts, but I can't believe I have a leak.
1) confirmed the flow from the pool to the pump is free with a hose, could feel water flowing through.
2)Took off top of sand filter and added water by hose, could see it flowing back into the pump, so even if the output of the filter is clogged I would expect water to be able to flow for a while to fill up the filter.
3) I have teflon tape on the threads at the input and output of the pump, could I need more?
4) I did not add any gasket lube to the basket lid or on the gaskets of the input/output connection adapter that came with the pump. Could this be the problem? I bought all my pvc stuff at Home Depot and they had no gasket lube. What can I use?

Thanks for your time!
Brian

How long did you let it try to prime? What speed? How far above the pool water is the pump?

The gaskets need some silicone based lubricant/grease to ensure a seal.

Did you make sure the pump drain screw was closed?

Ok, site went down just after I posted.....so here is the update. The pump is just a foot or so above water level. The VSP starts in PRIME mode at 3000rpm.
The following day, after this post, I went through and touched up all the pvc joints with my pvc cement and found the problem. (I got sloppy with one of the connections) Once sealed, the pump primed with no problem. What a fantastic pump and almost inaudible when running at half speed.
However, I think I have a small leak somewhere as I get some air in the system when the pump is turned off for some time. When off for about 12 hours and then turned on, the pump was already primed but I got a short burst of air at the output into the pool. I went through and applied pvc cement to all of the supply side pvc connections "after" the pump up to the filter. I confirmed this today after the pump had been off for a few hours. After the pump ran on high for a few minutes, I noticed a trickle of water at the threads of the filter pressure gage. I tightened it up and will see if that did the trick tomorrow.
Any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Yes, I hope that does it too. I'll post.
One more thing, the new pump works great, but the basket (on the pump) doesn't fill up fully. I have 1.5" piping, but never had this problem before and consider it to be a problem. Filter is super clean, just backwashed and cleaned it, and added 1/3 cup DE to the sand. At full pump power, I read just over 10 psi on the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have said, the basket fills up almost all the way. Just maybe 1/2 inch of air at the top when I turn off the pump.

This is an awesome thread....especially since I just bought mine and am going to learn from your install....thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Did you have the right length of pipe coming off the inlet...on page 9 of the manual or did you disregard that...just curious if you thought it wad a big deal to have the min straight pipe length....thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.