Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot tub with Ozone and SWG target numbers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot tub with Ozone and SWG target numbers?

I know I picked a bad time with the outage this weekend, but it looks like I will be getting a used hot tub this weekend, price is right, nice tub, lots of those bells and whistles. Anyway I need some start up target numbers, this tub has both an SWG and a UV Ozonator (may need new bulbs). As most of you know already, I have the pool chemistry basics already covered, just need the post it note condensed version for hot tub for now, I have copies of some of the stickies already, but they don't cover SWG on hot tubs.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hot tub with Ozone and SWG target numbers?

I am not good with these yet either. I would think the levels are the same with the exception that the CYA can likely be lower since it will normally be covered.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, here is another question, is there any reason to not use my pool water as a hot tub fill source? It is kept at a CYA level of 20-30ppm

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry that no one answered your last question and I didn't see it until now. You can use your pool water for your hot tub so long as the CYA level is kept lower as in your case and when the CH isn't too high. The hot tub temperature is hotter so if you have a CH level in the pool that saturates the water with calcium carbonate, then in your spa that may be too much though usually you try and have your TA lower in the spa so that may compensate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

My fill water CH is usually around 80 ppm, but is likely a bit higher in the pool (I have not tested CH in a few months, but would guess it is in the 120 range)

6. Back To Top    #6

120 should be fine
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmmm, I wonder if there is such a thing as filling a hot tub too fast,

I have an emergency fire hose valve and fire hose for my pool plumbing