Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frustrated With Pump Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Frustrated With Pump Motor

I've been having a time with my pump motor as of late. I replaced the capacitor two days ago and thought I had revived it for another few months...I was sadly mistaken. This morning I noticed that my pool was not moving so I immediately went over to the pump; she's not running and the multiport valve was frozen. I leave it running during the winter to prevent frozen/cracked equipment and plumbing. I checked some things out, and got it running again. After a little bit of whinning and screaming while primimg itself, it got back to it normal running sound. A few hours later I was standing by the pump and heard a click and she hasn't run since. I'm trying to troubleshoot and repair the motor before having to fork out the money for a new one. This motor was put on in August of last year and I don't think I should be replacing a motor already.

Does anyone have any experiences with something similar or can pass any tips my way; they would be appreciated.

I WILL be draining the pump tonight to try and mitigate any damages.
    25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frustrated With Pump Motor

You replaced the motor only or the whole pump? Are the bearing going? Squealing and such?
    Have you looked at a remanufactured motor? You can save a few bucks there. Or change out the bearings yourself.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I would consider changing the bearings if the motor would run. The motor spins freely and I cannot find any abnormal signs. It doesn't even "hum" anymore, pointing towards the capacitor. Its almost as if the thermal overload kicked it off, but I haven't been able to get it to run since it cooled down. I replaced the motor in Aug of last year, but the impeller has been changed since then also.

I will look into a re-worked motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure of your skills, but have you checked the breaker, voltage at the motor, and the switch. Ensure the connections are tight.

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

I did check all voltages from the breakers, through the switch all of the way to the capacitors. I'm not 100% on testing capacitors but I know a little about them.

I want to crush the piece of junk with a sledge hammer...do a little oilfield maintenance on it.

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL. I understand the oilfield maintenance. Fix it beyond repair! LOL.
    Here's the AO Smith guide: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...tor_manual.pdf

Here's the Marathon motor guide: http://www.pumpmotors.com/literature...cebrochure.pdf

Check the start switch? Clean the contacts.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any ideas of why my motor did not last as long? My new one will be at the house sometime Thursday, and if it's warm enough I'll swap them out Friday and do a little investigating on the old motor. I will look for signs of water getting into the motor, either from the seal or from rain.

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you also order the replacement seal?

9. Back To Top    #9

I burned one out in a week by putting seal on backwards. Leaking seal or water getting in vents or blocked vents probably most likely suspects.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just flipped the switch and now it hums again. Any ideas on why (seemingly) the capacitor is giving me fits? What can cause capacitors to go bad?

11. Back To Top    #11

My guess is the motor is messed up and that is causing the capacitor to go bad.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Did you replace the capacitor already?
    They have a finite life and most pool pumps get started fairly regularly so that "exercises" the cap a lot. That's why they fail often.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

If you keep blowing caps, it's probably time to just replace the motor. You're only going to get more frustrated with it.
    18'x9', IG, Plaster, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG (RC-35/22 Cell), 1 HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas Pump, Sta-Rite PXC75 Posi-Clear Cartridge System, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

Not Oz posted this earlier (http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question...2003313AANWCuL)
    Possible causes:

1. The replacement capacitor is not a motor starting type capacitor of the proper voltage rating. A motor starting capacitor is a non-polarized electrolytic capacitor that is rated for motor starting duty.

2. The start controller or centrifugal switch is defective and not disconnecting the capacitor when the motor comes up to speed.

3. The motor is not coming up to speed due to another problem in the motor such as a shorted or grounded winding or a bad bearing.

4. The motor is not coming up to speed due to a problem external to the motor such as a bad bearing or clogged pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

My new motor should be at the house tomorrow. Bama, I've already replaced the capacitor twice in this motor. I'm going to see if I can take it somewhere and they can troubleshoot it and maybe get it going again so that I can have an extra. Hopefully this was a bad apple and this next one will serve its time a little longer than 1.5 yrs. During the swim season I leave it running 24/7, is this detrimental to the motor? I have a feeling that the motor being in the open weather has a little bit more to do with it running hot and the bearings squeaking. As I said before, I plan on inspecting the motor for signs of water on the shaft end of the motor.