Dirt collecting on bottom of pool near jets

Jan 9, 2012
Argentina
Hi

I`ve been noticing for quite a while that i`m getting a brown dusty looking debris around where our return jets are located , on the floor of the pool. It seems to be worse after the pool has been cleaning. For example it was cleaned this morning, and by this afternoon there were patches of debris all over the place near the jets.
Any idea what it could be, i`d have expected that the sand filter wouldve prevent things like this, but i get the feeling its not filtering properly.

thanks

What do you mean when you say "after the pool has been cleaned"? Are you talking about vacuuming/scrubbing? Or chemical additions?

The two most common culprits are dirt or dead algae. If you can see it at the bottom of the pool, a sand filter will get it, so the filter is likely not the problem. It's either going to be a chemistry problem (likely algae that's being held at bay but still growing in the pool), or dust falling to the bottom due to insufficient skimming.

Yes it could be dead algae. If you touch it and it disappears it's dead algae.

I`m still having issues with the dirt collecting near the return jets. It seems to consist of small particles such as dead algae, dead ants and grass. The filter is about 2 years old and never seen this before until a few months ago. Now it happends all the time, i`m running the pump for about 8 hours a day now and its still not particularly clear and am concerned the filter isnt doing the job. Tried backwashing every 2-3 weeks for about 4 minutes but still getting this collection of particles in the same place. I have to scoop them out with the pool net.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.