Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt collecting on bottom of pool near jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt collecting on bottom of pool near jets

Hi

I`ve been noticing for quite a while that i`m getting a brown dusty looking debris around where our return jets are located , on the floor of the pool. It seems to be worse after the pool has been cleaning. For example it was cleaned this morning, and by this afternoon there were patches of debris all over the place near the jets.
    Any idea what it could be, i`d have expected that the sand filter wouldve prevent things like this, but i get the feeling its not filtering properly.

thanks
    5300 gallon IG , plaster, sand filter, built Jan 2012,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt collecting on bottom of pool near jets

What do you mean when you say "after the pool has been cleaned"? Are you talking about vacuuming/scrubbing? Or chemical additions?

The two most common culprits are dirt or dead algae. If you can see it at the bottom of the pool, a sand filter will get it, so the filter is likely not the problem. It's either going to be a chemistry problem (likely algae that's being held at bay but still growing in the pool), or dust falling to the bottom due to insufficient skimming.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

When I meant cleaning , yes sorry I meant vacuuming, it also appears when the pool pump has been on a while.
    I`ve introduced some algeacide last weekend so could it be just dead algae collecting?

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Dirt collecting on bottom of pool near jets

Do you have a sand filter, cartridge, or d.e? Yes it most def could be dead algae
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes it could be dead algae. If you touch it and it disappears it's dead algae.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Yes it could be dead algae. If you touch it and it disappears it's dead algae.
    I`m still having issues with the dirt collecting near the return jets. It seems to consist of small particles such as dead algae, dead ants and grass. The filter is about 2 years old and never seen this before until a few months ago. Now it happends all the time, i`m running the pump for about 8 hours a day now and its still not particularly clear and am concerned the filter isnt doing the job. Tried backwashing every 2-3 weeks for about 4 minutes but still getting this collection of particles in the same place. I have to scoop them out with the pool net.

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you post a full set of test results? I should have asked this question at the very beginning.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

I have dead spots where all my debris seems to settle. Try aiming your return jets a little different and see if the stuff moves.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!