Concern about loud motor in freezing temperatures in Atlanta

Jan 24, 2014
I live in Atlanta, I have a salt-water pool, and my motor just today started to make a louder than normal sound. The motor is under warranty but the pool service can't get out until Tuesday. Temperatures are currently around 30 and will be closer to 20 tonight. It will warm into the 40s this weekend but still fall below freezing at night. I believe the noise may be due to worn bearings but not certain (I am no expert!). How long does it normally take for the motor to go in this situation, and can I wait until Tuesday? How long would it take for the pipes to freeze if the motor stops working?

Re: Concern about loud motor in freezing temperatures in Atl

Welcome to TFP.

It's impossible to say just how long it may last, but most times you have a few days to a few weeks before it completely seizes up.
If the pump did seize up you would still have several hours before the plumbing would freeze enough to harm anything. I'd say throw a cover over the equipment just to be sure and not worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.